10.

🖤Raven Aurora Moore🖤September 8th,1998Moore Family Apartment West Oakland, CA

September 8th,1998
Moore Family Apartment West Oakland, CA

 They always leave their stuff out it's like they didn't care anymore if they even cared at all

They always leave their stuff out it's like they didn't care anymore if they even cared at all. As he lay on the floor, I stepped over my dad's body, mumbling something I couldn't make out.

They'd been at it for days now. Dad lost his job again, and instead of looking for another one, he's spending his days drinking and getting high with her.

"I am going to head to the store," Roman told me, coming out from our shared bedroom. After we turned eight in June, Dad told Roman he would have to start pulling some weight, so he'd gotten a small job cleaning up at the neighborhood gas station.

The guy who owns the place would give him a few dollars, so just let him get food for us when he came in and helped out. "Okay, be careful here." He handed him a pocket knife our Uncle Ali had gifted me and stuffed it into his sock.

"You going to be alright here by yourself?" he questioned

Nodding my head, yes, I knew he didn't like leaving me here alone with them, but we didn't have a choice.

With dad out of work and mom refusing to work, the only time we got to eat was at school, and that could only hold us over so long.

Picking up empty alcohol bottles and needles, Mom, they'd both left lying around; I tried my best not to wake either up.

Hearing my mom get fussy, I walked over, putting a blanket over her body, trying to soothe her. I didn't hate her. I know I should, but she's my mommy, and she's sick.

Looking down at the bruises on my arms, loving her, was probably the hardest thing I've ever done in my eight years.

Before she stopped coming around, my grandmother told me I was different and more brilliant than I gave myself credit for.

Finishing cleaning, my eyes looked to the table where they'd left some of their stuff out. I knew I wasn't supposed to touch it.

Roman got caught touching some of the stuff they liked, and Dad beat him so bad he couldn't go to school for a week.