Chapter 62

Chapter 62

-Farley-

Pax couldn't talk when he re-entered the room. He was followed by everyone in my pack and they tearily told me what Pax had agreed to. I could only grin and pull Pax in for a hug. I kissed him several times and wouldn't let him out of my grip.

"What? I'm allowed to annoy you now," I teased.

He weakly tried to pull away. "You did that before I agreed to be a part of the pack," he complained with a pout.

I huffed and nudged his arm. "How's your chest looking?" I asked seriously. He didn't have a shirt on, the white bandages were neat and pristine, as though he had only just put them on.

Pax's head tilted down, and he shrugged." It hurts, but I think it's doing good."

"You're lucky to be alive," Clementine said bluntly. "You were shot in the chest. Not a lot of people can say that nobody that I know."

"Nobody that you know has been shot in the chest," Rowan pointed out.

"That's not the point," Clementine huffed and ruffled Rowan's hair.

"I still can't really feel much of it," I admitted. I was feeling a lot better though. Most of my panic had disappeared, but I was still tired. Apparently, having an injury like this makes people constantly tired, or constantly awake.

They tried to hide their concerned glances, but it was very obvious to see that they were worried for me. The only one who didn't seem as worried was Pax, who smiled at me and said, "you'll get there."

It took days for me to get off the table without the help of Caspian and Ralph. I had used a wheelchair to help me to the bathroom and I needed assistance to even stand. I wasn't used to only putting pressure on one leg, every time I accidentally put pressure on my injured leg, it buckled.

Everyone but my parents, my pack, and of course, the Quartvear pack, had left the territory. Arkin and his pack were the last ones to leave, they promised that they would stay in touch with us more. I think that was meant to be a compliment of some sort.

I was sitting in the living room with my leg elevated, the doctor had left with instructions for me to take it slow and keep my leg as uninitiated as I could. We had her number if anything goes wrong, and she'd come to check the dressings once a week. She had also told Iris everything she would ever need to know about bullet wounds, so she had become my designated caretaker.

"Boo," two voices exclaimed from behind me.

I jumped out of my skin and turned my head. Channon and Channing were sat behind the settee, grins on their faces.

"Guys, don't do that," I said as I tried to catch my breath. Whenever I heard loud noises like that, it was tricky for me not to flinch and expect a pain in my leg. It had been difficult for me to forget about the events in the hospital, even more so since I could move around the house.

Their grins widened and they both shook their heads. "We've been told to help you to the garden," Channon said. I wondered who told them to bring me to the garden, I hadn't seen anyone for a good two hours or so. I had been given a book to read, a very interesting one about an immortal falling in love, but the writing style was somewhat questionable.

Channing was already getting the wheelchair, which was very old and squeaked a lot, pulling it around to the front of the settee.

"Why?" I asked with a raised eyebrow. I found that it was a good idea to always question the twins' intentions.

The two of them just shrugged as Channon tried to lift my back off the arm of the settee.

I sighed and let them help me into the chair, Oran ran in to help as well, just to move the chair a little bit. I was pushed through the halls and into the kitchen, where Oran left us to check on something in the garden.

"What's going on?" I asked with a small frown. I wasn't a fan of secrecy. Nobody answered me, they just pushed me forward when Oran gestured for us to go outside.

"Surprise!"

I was assaulted by bright colours and cheers. My eyes widened as I looked around the large garden. There were a few tables set up, decorated with food and games. There were streamers hanging from the trees and the fence.

"What's this for?" I asked. I tried to seem mad, but the huff of laughter and grin betrayed me.

"No reason," Rowan said with a shrug.

"It was Pax's idea," Iris informed.

I tried to look for Pax in the crowd, but he wasn't there. I raised an eyebrow in question. He had almost fully healed from his wound, but he would still be in some pain for a while. He had to be careful how he moved his arms now, but he didn't complain.

Arms wrapped around me from behind. The scent of forest grew stronger. "I'll tell you later," Pax whispered to me. "For now, just enjoy."

And I did. I couldn't dance or move around too much, but I could play the boardgames and beat the others at some games that we hadn't been able to play before. I felt like Pax had taken notice of what games that I was good at and only brought those ones to the party. We had cake, and I was glad that I didn't need to deal with any children's sugar rushes, even though Rowan, Channon, and Channing probably still counted as excited children.

I stayed outside until it became dark. Iris asked if she could wheel me back inside, but I told her I wanted to stay in the garden for a little bit. She nodded with a small smile and left with one final hug.

I breathed in the damp cool air and relaxed. The sounds of crickets were faint, the chatter from the house was nearly non-existent. The breeze was chilly, but I was wrapped in a thick blanket that my father had brought from home.

"Did you have a good time?" Pax asked. He sat next to me on the grass with his legs stretched in front of him.

"Very much, thank you," I replied and leant over to kiss his cheek.

His face warmed under my lips, and he stuttered a little. "You're very welcome." He tilted his head downwards, towards his hands, and sighed. "This is a new start."

I nodded and smiled softly down at him. "It's a new start for us all." I reached over and ruffled his hair. "I can't believe you're going to be a part of our pack."

He didn't swat my hand away like he usually would, Instead, he grinned up at me. The light from the house reflected in his beautiful eyes, and his face was full of adoration. "Neither can I," he admitted. He sounded as though he was trying not to laugh. "I never thought that anyone would willingly take me in."

I scoffed a little. "Pax, you're not an abandoned animal or a child anymore," I told him softly. "You are Pax, one of the last black wolves. You're a kind and stubborn man who I fell in love with."

His face reddened even more. He turned to face me, lifting himself into a kneeling position and kissed me. It wasn't like the other times, but I felt like I felt that way every time we kissed. The fireworks exploded in my chest, and we were the only ones in the world. We were healed. We were happy. We still had some challenges ahead, some things to work through. But for now, we were able to celebrate and have fun together. I would be able to take Pax on dates and show him the world.

I had subconsciously interlocked one of our hands together whilst we were kissing. When we parted, I rested my forehead against his. "I love you Pax."

"I love you too, Farley."

For the first time, I felt like he could see me fully. He could see my flaws, my pain, my personality, my thoughts. Just like I felt I could see his. I felt like I was finally looking into the heart of the wolf before me, just like he forever kept a place in my heart.

THE END

And I can't believe it's done!!

Thank you all so much for your support throughout In the Eyes of the Wolf, I've loved sharing it with you and I really hope that you enjoyed it!! <3