Chapter 29

Chapter 29

-Pax-

The room was so void of sound that I could hear Rowan's heart pounding in his chest. I was sitting on the kitchen bench with Farley next to me. He told me it was alright for me to sit up there, as long as I was careful of the toaster which rested far back on the bench.

"Who was it?" Iris asked, a very appreciated interruption to the quiet. "Why did they do it?"

The ceiling started to creak; Caspian was probably walking around upstairs. I had jumped when the front door opened, the sudden loud noise had given me a fright, so Caspian probably heard it too.

"It was the beta of the Herbrogh pack", Rowan exclaimed. He brushed against my foot as he came into the kitchen, placing something on the bench. "The alpha is apparently furious with him, but they're not going to deny the rumour. It's spread too far and now everybody knows who's responsible."

"Then how come my mam didn't know?" Farley asked, his voice vibrated the bench. "Surely she would know if a member of her old pack had contact with them?"

"I'm not sure," Iris said. "Dillion has been very quiet the past few months. Maybe something happened between them?"

I had heard of the pack before meeting Farley. Kian would talk about Dillion a lot; he was one of the best alphas when it came to strategy and war. Their pack was unmatched, and they tended to act more like an army rather than a pack. The Herbrogh pack didn't have a permanent residence, preferring a nomadic lifestyle.

"I don't know," Rowan answered. "The pack's still together." Objects were placed on the bench, I could only distinguish some fruit, but I'm sure I'd be able to find out what he bought later. "What do you think, Caspian?"

"I want to know how you found it out," Caspian asked from the top of the stairs. "Who did you have to interrogate?" The stairs started to creak.

"Just the little twerps who frequent the corner shop," Rowan said, I could feel the shrug of his shoulders within his voice. "They know everything. What's the other ones called? Channon and Channing? I think those are the twerp's idols." I didn't know who Rowan was talking about, but the names Channon and Channing rang a bell.

I must have had a confused expression on my face as Farley leant on my shoulder. "Channon and Channing are from Ralph and Aiden's pack," he whispered to me. "They're identical twins, and they're even more trouble than Rowan."

I made a noise of acknowledgement and nodded my head. "Thanks." I whispered back to him.

"How do they know?" Clementine's voice chimed in. I had been too distracted by Farley; I hadn't even noticed her. "They could've just made it up."

"Oh yes," Rowan said, his voice muffled by some sort of food. "Because two eleven year olds are going to lie about who started a rando rumour. I don't think that they'd have any reason to."

"It doesn't matter too much who started it," Iris said. "What are we going to do? It's only a matter of time before someone comes here and demands to see the body."

The body. Those words sent shivers down my spine and made every muscle in my body tense all at once. Many people believed me to be dead. That might have solved a problem for us, but it caused many more. I had wished that I wasn't born a black wolf, or that there were more of my kind so that we could find comfort in each other. We wouldn't be able to lie about me being dead for any amount of time. People would come and demand to see the corpse of a black wolf, my corpse.

"Rowan, I still need your login details," Iris' voice grew quieter and was disturbed by Rowan's grunts and complaints. Something knocked my foot again, causing me to hold onto Farley's shoulder for stability.