Chapter 9

Chapter 9

-Pax-

I didn't sprint far before slowing to a jog and then stopping. I caught myself on a tree and sat at the base. I took a deep breath in and slowly breathed out. I wanted to turn back, to tell Farley that I would like to go with him. Nobody had offered to go out with me like that, or play any sports with me, other than Alder. He was quickly shut down by his mother and scolded for even thinking of such a thing.

I didn't want to go back home.

I pulled my legs to my chest and wrapped my arms around them. I buried my head into my knees and sighed.

Nobody would come check on me unless they were spying on me. If that were the case, I'd be dead by now. I had a conversation with someone on the path, without deterring them. It made it clear we've spoken before. I don't want to imagine what Kian would do to me if he found out I'd kept a secret from him.

There were many rumours about our pack, apparently. The Hischwich pack was small but powerful. I didn't see that within our ranks, but I could see how someone would be intimidated by Kian and Finn. The two of them have a very violent nature. Cedar and Rosary just go along with whatever the others say. Daphne says nothing, and Alder is too young.

That would leave me, a very useless being with little knowledge on anything.

I stood up from the base of the tree and turned left, and then right. The dirt under my feet didn't make much of a noise as I moved. The rest of patrol still had to be done. I'll be as quiet as I can. Hopefully, Farley will be gone by now.

My back was wet with sweat, I was careful with every step. I couldn't hear any person-sized creature moving. Patrol was far longer than it was supposed to be, but that was alright.

When I got back to the house, everyone was in their own rooms. I headed straight for Kian's office.

"Took you a while," Kian's voice came from his desk. I stood in front of him with my hands clasped behind my back. "Anything?"

"Not a thing." I nodded once as I spoke.

Kian stood up and started to walk around the desk. He came uncomfortably close to me and picked up my shirt. "What's that smell?"

I raised an eyebrow. "Soap?" I didn't know what smell he was talking about. I lifted my shirt and sniffed it for myself. The scent of coffee hit my nose, something I didn't drink, and had no reason to smell of. "Coffee." It seemed more honest to tell him.

"Did you bump into anyone?" I shook my head. His interrogative tone didn't make me at all comfortable, especially with how close he was. "Are you sure?"

"There might've been someone out there before me." I shrugged. "We go right to the edge of the forest; someone might have gone for a walk."

His hand thumped against his leg. "Right, and surely you wouldn't have picked them up whilst you were out." I couldn't tell what tone he was using, or what he was implying. "We might need to go on another patrol tomorrow, early in the day. People can't just come in and do as they please."

"There's no sign," I said quickly. My hand twitched to cover my mouth. Instead, I curled my hands into fists behind my back.

The toes of Kian's shoes met my own. I nearly stepped backwards in surprise. The smell of smoke and alcohol filled my nose. I never understood where he got that alcohol from. "How would you know that?"

I blinked a few times and stuttered, "b-because t-there isn't." I wasn't convincing myself. "I would've seen one, we check the gates."

He took a deep breath in and stepped back. "Right," he muttered. "You're going on patrol twice tomorrow." I nodded once. "Go on then."