Like They Knew Each Other

Start from the beginning

Kanan sat up, rubbing his head and sensing around for Ahsoka. He caught wind of her in the next room over and stumbled to his feet. He ignited his saber, jogging into the other room, but stopped dead in his tracks at what he saw.

Ahsoka and Vader were both on the floor, lightsabers discarded.

And they were either trying to strangle each other by the torsos or hugging. Half of Vader's mask had been walloped away, the corners still smoldering, and his visible eye was squeezed shut and streaming with tears.

"I hit my head too hard," Kanan groaned. "I'm hallucinating. Where are you, Hera? I need a medical evac."

Ahsoka laughed and turned to face him, eyes dripping with tears. "You're not hallucinating, Kanan. I'd like to introduce you to my Former Master, Anakin Skywalker."

The man wearing Vader's suit cried harder, sobs wracking his frame. He made an attempt to look up at Kanan but he was weeping too violently.

Kanan really wished he called in sick.

///

Anakin Skywalker could feel nothing but shame.

The things he had done were terrible, unforgivable, and yet Ahsoka somehow forgave him in a heartbeat anyway.

She'd lead him onto a Twi'lek woman's ship, a Twi'lek who so obviously didn't trust him, and he didn't blame her a single bit for that. None of the crew trusted him. And he didn't ever dream of any of them reacting differently.

Ahsoka was the only one who didn't have some nasty aversion to him. He had quite the opposite effect on her, she instead clung to him like a child.

He didn't deserve it, didn't deserve her affection or those looks of pure joy she shot him throughout the day.

The Ghost crew, run by the green Twi'lek and a man Ahsoka told him was who Caleb Dume turned out to be, dropped him and Ahsoka off at Rebel Home as soon as they could. He thought they were glad to be rid of him, and he thought they were right for that.

At Rebel Home, Anakin was fitted with new prosthetics, fresh limbs that were much more efficient and painless than Vader's suit. He looked in the mirror Ahsoka had gladly led him to and he glanced himself up and down.

He was Anakin Skywalker, and almost looked the part, and it shrouded a light on him. Ahsoka had brought him robes, not unlike the ones he wore during the Clone War, and his limbs looked close to natural. The difference was his face, his scared and weeping skin. He looked horrific but his eyes were blue and Ahsoka's were full of tears.

"Anakin," she breathed, and it was all she could say. "Anakin."

Ahsoka led him down the hall, and they spotted Organa in passing. Bail smiled when he saw them, Ahsoka's child-like joy radiating off of her as she led her tear-stained former Master through Rebel Home.

"It's good to have you back, Master Jedi," Bail said, and it was clear he trusted Anakin. But Anakin wished he wouldn't. He didn't deserve it.

Bail and Ahsoka exchanged a few words before they went their separate ways and Anakin squeezed his eyes shut to pointlessly rid a few tears, trusting Ahsoka to guide him.

They ended up in a room with someone Anakin had thought he'd never see standing before him.

Rex.

And he broke down for the millionth time.

///

"I don't trust him, he's a Sith!" Sabine said, hand whacking the table and face hot.

"You don't trust anyone," Zeb scoffed.