8. after math ⛈️

Start from the beginning

With a swift maneuver, I turned the tables, clutching her hair and bringing her face-to-face. Her eyes, mirrors of the slap she'd dealt me. It was an impulse I couldn't suppress. My palm met her cheek with a resounding crack. She wailed, tears streaming, chanting, "Karma... Karma...! K--"
I halted, and Salu's voice sliced through the tension, contrite. "I'm sorry."

"I wasn't the girl who wilted in the shadows when my ex belittled me for loving him. I did what you can only imagine. At least choose your battles wisely!" I declared.

She nodded solemnly and retraced her steps.

"Salu, let's go!" Kush called, and Salu swiftly darted away.

[The phone buzzes at 3:23 am, jolting me back to the present.]

"What have you done to those kids? They're just teenagers. Now you're going after them too? How much hatred do you hold, Karma?" Ved's tone drips with disdain.

"They came at me, Ved. I acted out of self-defense," I respond.

"Self-defense? They were just enjoying the seashore. You turned it into a vendetta," Ved counters.

"Fine, I'll be there soon. Alright," I concede before ending the call.

[@3:41 am, Ram's house]

As I step into the hall, a heavy silence descends. A handful of relatives occupy the couches, while Ram and Ved stand beside Salu and Kush. The aftermath of the 'Battle of Bay of Bengal' is etched across our faces, a testament to the ferocity of our clash. There's no pride in this victory.

I cut a sorry figure, my gait unsteady, a bruised cheek marring my face, and a neck bearing Salu's unforgiving teeth marks, still vivid in their impression. Not to mention the wound on my left hand courtesy of an intentional encounter with the fan. My silk pajamas cling uncomfortably, my hair still damp from the sea spray.

"Is the first aid done?" I direct my question at Kush. His response is a lifeless stare, while Salu continues to hold an ice pack against her cheek.

Ram addresses me in a measured tone, "Are you responsible for this?"

"Yes, but they attacked me," I assert.

"Kush! Is what Karma says true?" Ram inquires. Kush vehemently denies it, claiming I was the one who shoved Salu into the sea.

"I would never do that," I affirm.

"Are they lying?" Ved interjects.

"Yes, they are," I reply.

Ram instructs Salu and Kush to retire for some rest. As they head inside, Ram studies my neck and states, "Ved, attend to her first, then let her go."

Ved raises an objection, "But Ram, she-"

Ram interjects, "After all that commotion, if she still has the audacity to come, it's a sign she's not carrying guilt."

"Sorry on behalf of my cousins," Ram's voice holds no emotion as he utters his words before departing. Ved looks at me, suggesting I take a seat, but I deflect, insisting that I can manage on my own. In a low voice, Ved scoffs, "When you relished your pain, it revealed that Ram still wields power over you. That's why he let you off without taking any legal action."

Ved's words cut deep, striking at the heart of my own misconceptions. I had set out to strip Ram of his power, but in truth, I still craved his attention, yearned for the days when he pursued me with intensity. It's clear I need to turn inward, to find strength within rather than seeking it externally. I relent and sit down, allowing Ved to tend to the bleeding neck.

It's strangely liberating to acknowledge that Ved's grasp of my psyche is astute, uncovering truths I might have overlooked.

The following day, my father deal the decisive blow - I have to leave town. My actions have tarnished his reputation within the community.
"I have a job. I am not leaving." I say to my dad.

"You will have to leave this place and stay in BBSR with my sister." He orders.

"So I have to travel for 2 hours everyday for my work?" I ask.

"None should see you here and everyone will know that you left for Kolkata." He says while getting busy in surfing through news channels.

I gathered my belongings and found myself amidst the ceaseless rhythm of the bustling city.

I'm uncertain about how I'll navigate life in this metropolis, but one thing is crystal clear - I'm determined to breathe life into my wildest fantasies.

{Author's note}
Please do vote ⭐. Your vote is valuable for me. Love __ s n e h a ❤️🫰