Teenage Boy Experiences Worst Nightmare (Meeting His Girlfriend's Dad)

Leo doesn't see Ara as much as he would want to. He's working nonstop, and Ara's responsibilities go beyond just overseeing the Argo II's progress.

She handles disputes, trains the campers, holds meetings... That's why, when she asks a second time if he'd like to visit her on Valentine's Day, Leo doesn't think twice before giving her an answer.

He's scared shitless, though. Annabeth says Ara's parents are the best, but Lily says Ara's dad is protective of her, and he's only half-sure she's trying to scare him. Leo is on the verge of having a heart attack now, as he's dropped outside Ara's building.

"Thanks, man," he dryly says to Argus, not even able to crack a joke. "Wish me luck." 

Argus winks and half of his body looks normal for a moment, then he encourages Leo to press the coms so Ara knows he's there.

The visit cost Leo a lot of pledges to Chiron, the centaur only agreed after he held a conversation over the phone with Sally Jackson, who somehow convinced him Leo is old enough to behave on his own.

It's kind of annoying to be treated like a child, but at the same time, it's nice to be looked after for a change, and it's almost like having a parent. Leo looks for the family's name on the coms, and when he presses the right button, Ara answers right away. 

"Going!"

Leo gives Argus a thumbs up, he's only moved an inch when the front door of the building opens and he jumps, Ara saves him from tripping down the steps.

"Hi," she smiles at the driver and waves. "Thanks, Argus!"

The man turns on the engine and waves back before driving away. Ara pulls Leo inside the building and closes the door. "H—" The girl doesn't give him even a second to speak before she kisses him. 

It's short but intense, enough to erase all the thoughts from Leo's mind, which is a remarkable achievement. "I baked you cupcakes," she says giddily. "Come on!"

Leo gets dragged up the stairs, and by the time they reach her floor, he's having trouble breathing, not necessarily because of the amount of stairs they just ran through. 

She's about to enter her apartment when Leo pulls her back. "Wait! Are both your parents inside?"

"Yeah, they'll drop us off at the movie theater. We're having dinner first, though."

Leo clears his throat. "Okay. Cool."

"Are you nervous?" Ara grins. "They'll love you, just be yourself!"

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" He teases her.

She opens the door. "Leo's here!"

He's half-expecting Ara's apartment to look like a fancy castle, but this is just a regular New York flat, cozy and simple. Her parents are in the living room, and they're the nicest-looking adults Leo's ever seen, which only increases his anxiety. He does not get along with sane people.

"This is my mom and dad," Ara holds Leo's hand and guides him in, he suspects she's also using her empath touch, cause his heart slows down instantly. "Mom and Dad, this is Leo Valdez, my boyfriend."

"Nice to meet you, Leo! Are you thirsty?" Ara's mom shakes his free hand, he likes her instantly. 

"Er... no, Mrs. Jackson, but thanks," his eyes move to Ara's dad, who's not smiling, but it's not giving him the stink eye either, which is a relief.

"Leo," Paul Blofis shakes his hand firmly. "Our daughter talks a lot about you."

"Every day!" Ara adds happily.