I'm Sorry I'm This Way, I Was (Mostly) Raised by Other Children

Ara doesn't wake up at dawn for the first time in months. When she opens her eyes, loud noises are coming from outside, and the sun is fully out. She bolts upright in bafflement.

It took her four hours to fall asleep last night because she kept squirming and giggling every time she thought about Leo. Ara's about to fall back and squeal into her pillow, when Lily bursts into the room making her fall off the bed.

"Ara! Are you okay?" Her friend tosses the to-do list onto the nearest surface and circles the bed.

Ara tries to control the mild heart attack she got from Lily's arrival and untangles herself from the sheets. "What time is it?"

Lily looks at her with concern. "Chiron's been looking for you. I lied and said you were packing, but you need to get dressed and start the day now."

Ara gets up from the floor. "Lily, there's something I've—"

"Hey," her friend approaches the pinboard next to Ara's wardrobe. "Is that..." Lily looks back at her grinning. "A picture of Leo?"

Ara looks up at the image in horror. Jake and Nyssa took it during their first day working on the Argo II. Leo's giving the camera a thumbs up and a big smile. The girl tries to come up with an excuse but Lily's expression flusters her.

"It's not a picture of Leo!" She blushes all over. "It's a picture of the bunker!"

Lily laughs. "You can't even see what's behind the guy! Jake sucks at taking pictures—Did you steal it while they weren't looking?"

"It wasn't stealing, I just took it," Ara gets dressed quickly so she can take Lily out of her room. "To keep me motivated."

"What's the goal?" Her friend snorts. "Leo will give you a smooch if you finish his ship on time?"

Ara struggles to put on her socks. "You're laughing a little too much, don't ya think?"

"Duh! You've tortured all of us and now it's your turn!" Lily says delightedly. "And with Leo Valdez! Can't get funnier than that."

"Don't be mean," the girl pouts. 

She dreads the moment everyone finds out. Does she even want that? In the middle of a war? Silena and Beckendorf started dating during one, but Ara's not like that. She's never been an Aphrodite who stops caring about the world the moment she likes someone.

"Anyway, we got a meeting with Annabeth and your boyfriend's gonna show us his process on the Argo II," Lily continues. "Capture the Flag at seven... Oh! Tyson's coming, something about him manufacturing parts of your ship?"

"Oh, gods!" Ara ties her shoes. "Imagine that, Lily! Our ship, equipped with weaponry straight out of Cyclops' forges!"

"Well, I'd be able to imagine if I knew how to read Leo's blueprints. They're a hot mess, look like he did them during a manic episode."

"I won't lie to you, he probably did."

The girls walk out of the room and the more they talk about work, the more Ara thinks about Leo and how fun it was to spend time with him doing nothing. She's been given a taste of what life could be like if she acted her age, and Lily could benefit from it too.

"What if we take a break after our meeting? Maybe watch one of your musicals?"

It's been months since the last time Ara suggested a break. Lily eyes her with worry. "Are you sure you're okay?"

The brunette laughs, which only disturbs Lily further. "I'm exhausted. My parents basically begged me to rest, and I don't want them to worry."

Lily stares at her intently with her gray eyes, so sharp they make Ara feel like the girl can see right through her, and it's almost always true.