Source(s): Dude, Trust Me

A whole day goes by and Hades is nowhere to be seen, but I've made up my mind that I won't care anymore. I've fought and killed monsters, but it isn't enough.

"I feel like we should've told someone about this..." Lily mutters.

"Jake's helping us, we're fine."

"Ara..."

"What?" I snap at her impatiently.

Lily's worried, I'm not as giddy and positive as when the fight started, so she thinks I might do something reckless. But it's not like I'm announcing our impending deaths, it isn't that kind of change. I have a fierce disposition to keep going no matter the outcome.

Which of course, could be seen as "being reckless".

You see, an hour ago we found my parents in their Prius, right in front of where we'd fought that day. Percy almost lost it, it was the second time I had to absorb half of someone's breakdown in less than two days, so I'm pretty tired, but I refuse to take a break.

"I'm just making sure..." Lily pauses. "That you have the remotes to these things."

I point at the dino bag hanging on my shoulder. "'Course. C'mon, before Percy realizes I left."

I burst into tears pretty often, but I have an advantage over demigods like Percy and Lily: I process feelings faster. Right now it's like I'm in the zone, with all these people feeling all kinds of ways, I have the clearest mind.

Mom's right, feelings give me power.

We go back to the camping site where Percy's already looking for me, and he's angry.

He pulls me away from Lily. "Let's talk."

Everyone throws curious looks at us, Percy's never harsh with me, not even when we're training together.

"You're pinching me!" I whine.

Percy stops and stares at me, his eyes are like Greek fire. "What did you do?"

"I-I just went to place some bombs—"

"Not today," he interrupts me. "The other night—Jake said you disappeared for a whole hour. Spit it out."

"...I'm helping you win the war," my voice gets quiet.

"What did you do?"

"Judging by how you're acting, I think you know."

Percy's hands go to his hair as he turns away from me, his face red. This feels like being scolded by my dad. "You made a deal with Hades?" He asks in an angry whisper, turning back to face me. "What were you thinking?!"

I don't ask how he knows. Maybe he saw it in a dream. "He's been insulted, Percy. He doesn't want to help you, and we need him."

"You're stupid," he says like he's just realizing this now. "Mr. D told me..."

"What?"

"He asked me to tell you," Percy scowls. "That he wants to be considered too."

I can't hide the excitement in me. "I'm listening."

He grimaces at my reaction. "He said that having madness on your side is useful too."

"Will you look at that," I mumble, my gaze drifting as I take in the news. "The gods really are paying attention to me..."