In My Defense, I Was Left Unsupervised

After our fiasco with the bronze dragon, Percy gets a date with Annabeth, and Beck gets one with Silena, so they win in the end. Wonderful.

Since Lily's never going to ask Connor and Connor's never going to ask Lily, Travis and I make sure that they end up sitting together anyway. Travis shares his blanket with Katie and I'm sharing mine with... no one. But I'm content this way. 

Lily and Connor look at us with panic without realizing that the other is doing the same. "Good job, Birdy!" Travis murmurs as he walks past me. We high-five.

A couple of minutes before the fireworks start, everyone is in their place looking happy. Except me. I had to give up my dragon, it doesn't seem fair. I could bring him back to normal, I just hope Beck keeps his promise.

"Hi," Michael sits down beside me, I move so he can fit better. "I heard you had a crazy adventure as soon I left you unsupervised."

"Yeah, yeah," I sigh. "I could've gotten someone hurt, I was foolish..."

"I want to know if you're okay," he frowns. "I'm not always a jerk, Ara."

"Sorry—it's just... if I don't go back for it, the myrmekes will take it. And you wanna know the worst part? Percy, Annabeth, Charles, and Silena are acting like it doesn't matter!"

Mike laughs. "They can't help it, bug. Love makes you stupid."

"Have you ever fallen in love?

I realize too late I don't want to hear his answer, but Mike responds to my question right away.

"Nah," he rubs the back of his neck and scrunches up his nose. "I'm always thinking about you and your training, leaves me no time for romance."

"What?" I yelp. "Are you saying it's my fault you're single?"

"No!" Mike laughs again, hugging me sideways. A green glow coats his skin. "Look, crushes are weird, but one day you'll understand. You know, it's odd that it hasn't happened yet—you're a weird Aphrodite... a good weird, though."

Our soul lights don't match, but I'm sure I like him, so I'm confused. Am I wrong for feeling this way about him? Maybe. I never cared much about romance until now. Love is one of the best things in the world, obviously, but falling in love? It makes you witless... And yet, I'm looking at Michael like he's the nicest sunset I've ever seen.

I get this feeling that just screams "To Hades with it!" and I give my friend a fleeting peck on the lips. Mike's face turns bright red and I look away, feeling like you could boil an egg over my cheeks. 

After a long moment of silence, I gather enough courage and glance at Michael: he's looking at the fireworks with a dreamy smile on his face. 

"Ara..." He speaks after a minute.

I answer quietly, trying not to flinch. "Yes?"

"Happy Birthday." 

He plants a kiss on my temple and places one arm around my shoulders. I forget all the bad things happening around us. I'm blissfully happy, and fourteen years old.

***

Before she can celebrate Lily's birthday, Ara has to make sure everything's under control. She tells Jason to gather the Hephaestus kids so they can stabilize the engine, then look for Chiron so he can take away the crazy nymphs.