"I think I want the same," I responded. "But I don't think I'm good at it." I lowered my head, looking down towards our clasped hands, I think.

He gave a soft laugh. "Good at what? Loving? Being loved? You seem to be a natural at it so far." He squeezed my hand again. "I've never been in a proper relationship either. We can just take it slow." He paused. "But I still want a kiss."

I smiled and rose to my feet. I trailed my hand up his arm and rested it on the side of his head. I leant in and met his lips.

It was different to the last time we had kissed. This time, I didn't want this moment to last forever. I wanted to go slowly and quickly at the same time. I wanted Farley to be able to be the one standing. I wanted the pain to go away. But his lips on mine made it easier. He made it easier.

"I look forward to more of those," Farley whispered when we pulled away.

I couldn't help the small laugh which escaped me. "Me too."

Our moment was interrupted by the sound of the door opening. "You're sitting up," Iris said happily. She was holding a tray of some sort, judging by the clatter of porcelain. "I've brought you two something to eat. The doctor said you shouldn't have too much, just in case."

I flinched a little bit. I still wasn't fond of the idea of being sick. It had been a fear of mine since I was very young, and I still hadn't quite gotten over it.

She put whatever she was holding on the table, somewhere next to Farley's legs. "Pax, you shouldn't be standing." I was pushed back into the seat and handed a bowl of something warm. "How are you two feeling?"

I didn't reply, just embraced the steam of the warm food in front of me. The taste was sensational. It was just simple porridge with some honey on top, but it tasted like one of the most welcoming foods that I could've asked for at that moment. It made me feel like I was back home, and someone had failed at preparing the tea, probably Clementine, and we were forced to have something such as instant porridge.

I listened to Farley and Iris talk, occasionally nodding or shaking my head in response to any comments I felt the need to. I couldn't eat quickly, my arms hurt too much to do that. I felt anxious for some reason.

I met Odell and Brontes not long after Iris took our dishes away. The three children were playing a board game with Lowell and Oran when Alder wanted to show me how to play it. I was, of course, quite useless at understanding the different places on the board, but they always pointed it out if I went too far. Farley had to throw in his input every now and again to make sure that I didn't lose too terribly. We had teamed up, which the children deemed was 'unfair'. They quickly stopped their complaints when I suggested that it was us two versus them three. We still ended up losing, but it was good fun.

The doctor came back to make sure that I wasn't doing anything torture-worthy, and to check on Farley's leg. She told us that it was almost healed, which wasn't very good news.

Farley still couldn't feel much of his leg. He described it to me as though his leg had been placed into a bucket of ice and was entirely numb. I didn't want to think about it. I didn't want to imagine what it was like to experience that. I relied on my senses too much, especially touch, for that to be something that I could possibly live with.

I knew I was probably being dramatic. I should be grateful that I'm not the one with the injury, but all I was left with was the feeling of guilt, which I assumed would be staying in my heart for quite some time.

She said that I could walk about the house, and I did that for two minutes before heading straight outside. I promised Farley that I would be back as quickly as possible, and that I'd probably be visible through the window. I didn't know if I was, but the turns that I had taken and where the window was, I wasn't too far off.