XLIX. The Price of Redemption (Part 3)

Start from the beginning

The wind howls as the helicopter doors open, the rush of cold air and rain engulfing us. The seemingly empty village looms closer, its overgrown streets and buildings shrouded in darkness and uncertainty.

As we stand at the precipice, ready to step into the unknown, I exchange a knowing look with Liam.

We're not just facing the enemy—we're facing our past, my training ground turned battlefield, and his future as a soldier. And I know that for him, this mission might be just as important as it is for me.

We hit the ground running, each of us moving with precision and caution.

The village seems different now, a ghostly shell of its former self. Shadows dance between the empty houses, and the once-familiar paths are now treacherous and uncharted.

"We're being watched," Keegan's low voice cuts through the tension, his tone sending chills down my spine. His words are a grim reminder that our presence here hasn't gone unnoticed, as the people here had probably been notified of the activities at their main base.

Liam's grip tightens on his weapon, his gaze sweeping the surroundings as if searching for hidden threats. "Let's find that base before they find us."

I smile, pride filling my chest from his confidence.

But as we move through the village, I can't help but feel a surge of anger. This place was abandoned, left for dead... And now it's possible that the enemies have turned it into something else entirely—a hub for their operations.

My fists clench as I realize the potential truth. They may have driven the people away, using this once-peaceful village as a cover for their sinister activities. It would explain why all the stuff had been left here untouched, and why they just left one day, leaving everything as it is.

Ghost's voice is low, his own frustration evident. "Keep your guard up. We can't underestimate them."

Our footsteps echo through the narrow streets, the rain masking our presence as we navigate the labyrinthine paths.

And then, as I scan nearly every crack for something, a glint catches my eye—a latch on the side of one of the houses, hidden beneath layers and layers of peeling paint.

I move towards it, my heart racing as I pull on the latch. A door creaks open, revealing a narrow staircase leading into darkness. "Guys," I whisper, my voice barely audible over the rain if it weren't for the comms. "I've got something."

Ghost nods, his eyes meeting mine briefly. "Good find. Stay close behind," he says, looking over to all of the rest too.

He pushes the door open with the tip of his gun, and surprisingly it doesn't make a sound. From the inside, the door is rather modern, while the outside fits right in with the rest of the fallen town.

We descend into the darkness, the sound of rain fading as the secret entrance envelops us. The air is cool and damp, the walls of the passage rough against my fingers. The path seems to stretch on endlessly, a winding tunnel that leads us deeper into the unknown.

Finally, the passage opens into a vast chamber, the hum of machinery filling the air.

Before us lies the heart of the enemy's operation—the chip production room.

The realization hits me like a punch to the gut. This is where they've been manufacturing the devices that threaten everything we stand for.

Keegan's voice breaks the silence, his tone grim. "This is just the beginning. There's a whole system of hallways and rooms connected to this," he says, pointing his gun to the back of the room where another dark hallway stars back at us.