Chapter 9. The Cell

Salvatore Boarding House, It's daytime. Katherine is writing down in a diary with a slightly irritated look on her face "Dear diary, so here I am alive. Stefan saved me from killing myself. Now he's got me on suicide watch. He says it would be therapeutic for me to write down my feelings about the fact that I'm dying and there's nothing I can do about it. Deep thoughts, mortal coil, blah blah blah. My hand's tired."

She tears the page out from the diary, crushes it and throws it behind her. Stefan is pacing in front of her in the same room m "What kind of sentimental idiot writes down everything they feel? Is this what the prophecy meant when it said that all the doppelgängers were drawn together like magnets? Because if it is, I want my money back."

Stefan shrugs "I'm just trying to make sure you don't slit your wrists."

"Well, this whole neurotic granny vibe, doesn't exactly make me want to live. Do you really have nothing better to do than stand there all day and watch me write in cursive?"

"I'm trying to make sure you don't kill yourself."

"And how are you going to do that? You know, since you're still having your little panic attacks?"

"I'm fine."

"Yeah. Of course. You are the picture of mental health, Stefan, after being locked for three months in a safe, at the bottom of a quarry."

"I am dealing with it."

"I know. I mean, I heard you "dealing with it" earlier today in the library. It sounded like you freaked out and broke a chair, maybe even two. How are you supposed to help me stay alive if you can't even help yourself?"

"So does this mean you want to live?"

"No. It means I can't work with people who can't give me one hundred percent" There is a knock at the door "And so, I may have called a backup."

Stefan opens the door to find Elena standing outside, smiling "What are you doing here?"

"I'm your sober sponsor, and I heard that you needed help."

"Really?"

"And I got the Sheriff to drop off something for us to use." She moves aside to reveal the Pierce & Franklin safe that Stefan was locked in. Stefan stares at it "Don't worry. I sanitized it."

《♡♡♡♡♡》

Eliana POV

On campus, in my room, There is a knock on the door. I open in to find Ryan standing outside "Ryan, Hey!"

Ryan walks in "Hey. you heard?"

"Heard what?"

"That Jesse's dead. He killed himself last night. Campus security came by to tell me."

"Oh, my God. I'm so sorry."

Ryan sits at the chair scoffing "What's up with this college? It's supposed to be different. I came here to start fresh, get away from all the crap in my past."

I close the door "I get it. After everything you've been through, everything that you've lost, I would want to start over too."

"How do you hit the reset button?"

I surprise and sit next to him "Me? I... I haven't reset anything. All my problems, they've followed me here. Come to think of it, I'm probably not the right person to be getting advice from."

He smiles sadly looking at me "How damaged you are?" I laugh and he looks at my photo with my son "What was his name?"

"Tyler" I take the photo and look at it "I didn't have time to know him well" My phone rings it's Elena "Excuse me, Ryan, I have to answer it"