Chapter 5. Monster's Ball

In College Whitmore, in Ryan's office. I sit on Ryan's desk typing an article for the next class. my cell phone vibrates. I look at the screen and it's Damon. I ignore the call.

Damon appears behind her "Busted!"

I smile "Hey."

"Hey, Miss Avoiding-Me-For-Three-Days."

I raise my eyebrows "Avoiding you? What? We've been talking."

"Texting. One time. "Want to be my plus one at a costume ball?" Winky face."

I glare at him "And you never replied. So I'm guessing this special, in-person visit means yes?"

"Definitely will maybe consider thinking about it."

"It's at eight o'clock. Caroline got us costumes" I kiss him and stand taking my laptop.

"Where you going?"

"To class. I'm late" I pick up my things and leave.

《♡♡♡♡♡♡♡》

At Whitmore Historical Ball, Caroline and Tyler walk in. Tyler says "Wow. All of this and you weren't even on the dance committee."

Caroline says "I may have e-mailed them a few suggestions."

Tyler asks "Did I mention you're the hottest serial killer in here?"

Caroline giggles "Well, considering the crowd, I'll take that as a compliment."

Tyler noticing Stefan "I thought you got Stefan a costume."

Caroline looking behind her "He's James Dean. I went easy on him. he's been through enough."

Elena and I stand alone, I wear a vintage Anne Boleyn dress and Elena wears like Pier Angeli.

Stefan approaches us and sets his empty glass on the bar "Hey, dance with me. I'm buzzed, and I'm on the verge of having a good time."

I smile "Have fun"

Stefan and Elena leave to the dance floor.

On the other side of the room, Damon wearing Henry VIII, Damon texts Silas: "Stefan's here."

I walk in behind him.

Damon says "Lady Anne Boleyn. Now, who in their right mind would cut off a head so gorgeous?"

"Uh, you, my king, my not-so-loving husband."

"Well, maybe I can dance my way out of this doghouse."

"Yeah, maybe. Maybe later" I try to walk away.

Damon stops me "Ooh, or maybe you can tell me what's going on with you. Come on."

"Bonnie died three months ago, and what was I doing? I was having the summer of my life with you."

"Ah, guilt. Don't know it, but I've heard it can be a real bitch."

"I know it's not my fault that Bonnie died, but it is my fault for not figuring it out sooner, I must be with Elena."

"Eliana, you are allowed to be happy once in a blue moon. Besides, Jeremy was lying to us all summer."

"I am the older, I should've figured it out, Damon. I know that it's not the same"

Back to Stefan and Elena, Stefan asks "What are you gonna do next?"

Elena says "I'm not gonna let Megan's death fall through the cracks, too." She looks at the guy that was looking at Megan's shrine.