Chapter 1. I Know What You Did Last Summer

Narrator POV

Elena types an email to Bonnie; she reads it aloud in voiceover while a montage of each character's summer activities plays out.

Starting with Eliana and Damon giggling in the bed.

Elena voiceover "Hey Bonnie, How is the summer almost over, and yet I feel like I got nothing done? Sounds like you're having fun traveling with your mom. I still don't know how I'm supposed to do this whole college thing without you. And Caroline agrees; she spent the whole summer designing the color palette for our dorm room, while Tyler's been away helping some wolf pack in Tennessee."

Cut to Caroline packing with her mom.

Caroline on the phone "Don't worry, I already sent them your application, Tyler. All you have to do is register for classes and show up!"

Cut to Matt and Rebekah drinking wine in bed with another girl; Rebekah starts kissing her while Matt watches and smiles.

Elena voiceover "Matt and Rebekah have been sending postcards. I think they're in Amsterdam now...or was it Prague? I can't keep track, and honestly, I'm not sure I really want to know. Anyway, I can't wait to see you. When do you get back? Love, Elena."

Cut to Jessica and Chris playing cards at the park.

Jessica jumps on her feet dancing "Well, the dead girl win"

Chris pulls her between his arms kissing her "Not dead anymore"

Cut to Jeremy sitting on a park bench, texting on a cell phone. Bonnie stands behind him.

Jeremy writes "Dear Elena..."

Bonnie says "Wait, don't start with "dear".

Jeremy says "It's bad enough you're dead – now you're a control freak?"

Bonnie says "I'm just saying, people don't say "dear" anymore."

Jeremy says "All right, fine. How about, "Hey Elena, what's up?"

Bonnie says "Thank you."

Jeremy sits on the bench, apparently alone; Bonnie isn't visible anymore. Bonnie's voice narrates the message Jeremy sends to Elena on her behalf.

Cut to Eliana and Damon making out on the couch at the Salvatore boarding house.

Bonnie voiceover "Hey Elena, what's up? You guys have no idea how much I miss you

Bonnie voiceover "Hey Elena, what's up? You guys have no idea how much I miss you. I've been emailing with Jeremy...he says it's been surreal to be alive."

Jeremy walks in the front door, and Eliana jumps off Damon while Jeremy averts his eyes.

Eliana says "Hey, um, sorry, I - I thought you left."

Damon makes a shooing gesture to Jeremy.

Jeremy says "I did...five hours ago."

Eliana says "All right, well, there's pizza in the fri__"