19. A shadow on the wall

It was going to be a winter wonderland, the yule ball.
Pansy was giving Draco hints since the announcement of the ball. But Draco didn't feel like going to the ball, what was the point if it would be without Daenerys? He knows he caused it himself, that she hates him now, but that doesn't mean he doesn't miss it.
The brightness of her smile, her eyes that touched his soul.

It was after dinner and Draco had left the warmth of the castle for the cold of the outside. The lake was frozen, it wouldn't take long before the even layer of ice would be destroyed by ice skating. Draco looked at himself, drowning in the darkness the ice protected him from.
Snow fell on the ice, making his own reflection indistinct. It was the way he always saw himself. Only his mother helped him light the path that lies ahead, but the light isn't bright. And Daenerys, she is the one who helped him walk the path, no matter how dark it gets.
But he threw that away. He abandoned the woman who possesses his heart, and who he would sell his soul to.

What will the future bring? He asked himself

Meanwhile inside the warm walls of the school. Cedric Diggory searched for Daenerys in the hallways, and when he found her, sitting by the window, he sat down beside her.
She greeted him with a smile. 'How does it feel to be a champion?'
Cedric smiled. 'Terrific'
The purple eyes of the girl glister.
'I wanted to ask you something'
His smile faded.
'I know we have a difficult past and we don't know each other very well, but would you like to be my date for the Yule ball?' He layed his hand on his neck. Was he nervous?
Daenerys looked at him. Maybe he deserved a second change?

'I will be your date Cedric'

Cedric smiled again.
'But maybe, beforehand, we can go on a date or something? In Hogsmade. I still need to go Christmas shopping anyways.'
Daenerys nodded 'When are you free?'
'This weekend'
'Okay, i'll see you then' Daenerys stood up and walked away.

Cedric didn't stood up. He couldn't believe Daenerys was his date. It was stupid of him to act like such a loser around her before. But he just didn't know how to act, like a lot of people he noticed. And especially that Malfoy boy, he always looks at her. But his emotions are kept secret behind his face. Maybe if after the dates, he and Daenerys became a couple, it will learn Malfoy a lesson to keep his eyes closed.

'Does anyone have a date?' Ron said sadly. He tried to ask Fleur Delacour to be his date, but he made a fool of himself. Now the students of Beauxbatons academy of magic can't hold their laughter when walking by.
Daenerys and Hermione looked at each other, they aren't telling him.
They shook their heads.
Ron sighed out of relieve.
'Thought I was the only one' He said.

Then Harry entered the common room.
'Harry! Do you have a date yet?' Ron asked immediately. Other students looked annoyed at him.
'I actually asked Cho today' He said. But he didn't sound happy.
'Oh no, I'm sure I will be the only one left without a date!' Ron said, It looked like he was about to cry.
'But Cho said I was too late, some Ravenclaw boy named Sam had already asked her out and she said yes'
Another relieved sigh from Ron.
Daenerys looked at Harry, he had a sad look on his face.
'Are you okay?' She asked him.
'Yeah, it's annoying that I didn't have the courage earlier to ask her out.'
'I get that. But you're an amazing person and anyone would be crazy not to say yes to you' Harry smiled a bit.
'Will you go as my date Dany?' He asked.
Her heart dropped. Poor boy.
'I'm sorry Harry but I've just been asked today' Ron looked up.
'You said you didn't have a date yet!' He looked stunned.
'Technically I didn't said it but I didn't want to hurt your feelings'
'Well, you just hurt them more by lying to me!' Daenerys rolled her eyes. He looked like a baby.
'Who's your date?' Harry asked.
'Cedric Diggory'
'Cedric!' Ron said loudly again. He looked at Hermione 'What about you?'
Hermione sighed and stood up.
'I don't like your attitude Ron. I'm going to bed' She walked away.
Dany followed her.

'Who asked you?' She asked Hermione.
Hermione smiled and her cheeks turned red.
'Viktor Kruml'
Daenerys smiled.
'But I don't have the heart to tell Ronald' Hermoine's smile faded.
'You don't have to, it isn't required' Dany ensured her.
'Your right'

A wall made of stone was seen, as far as the eye could reach.
Flikkering of green and red lights.
And a shadow, of a person, it grew bigger and bigger.
A voice was heard, of a man, whose voice hides secrets that can't ever be revealed.
'Power resides where men believe it resides.'
The shadow was so big the lights couldn't be seen anymore.
'It's a trick, a shadow on the wall.'
The sound of a growling dragon, and fire that vanished the shadow of the wall.
'And, a very small man can cast a very large shadow'
A shadow of a girl appeared. It spin around and laughed. It then ran into the wall, it extinguished the fire and made the wall dark again.

Days passed and the Yule ball came closer. It was rumored it was going to be magnificent.
Almost everyone had a date by now. Except for Harry and Ron of course.
Her date with Cedric went well, they talked a lot about little things while looking for present for their friends.
The dancing lessons for the Yule ball were exciting, it turned out Daenerys was a very hood dancer.

In the summer she had found a dress at the attic, in her old home. It had belonged to Rhaella Targaryen, her real mother.
It was beautiful, as white as the moon, and looked like it was new. She wondered if she looked like her mother, what kind of woman was she?
Hermione walked into the bedroom, her hair was beautiful.
'Oh Hermione, you look beautiful'
Hermoine's cheeks turned red. She looked at the dress Daenerys was holding.
'You need to wear that dress to the ball, you would look stunning!'
Daenerys smiled, maybe she would.

Draco looked at himself in the mirror, ready for the ball.
He didn't like the way the person in the mirror looked back at him. He didn't want to go to the ball, but she was there. And he was desperate to see her, probably more beautiful than ever.
He looked at his pillow, where under the book hides.
She was a princess, a beautiful princess, and she didn't even know. Her family history was dark and powerful, she was powerful.
He thought the best option was, to hide his feelings, scared for love, scared for his father, scared of what the future could bring. But now, being without her, he felt incomplete. He didn't care what his father would think, he loved this girl. She was his princess, his beautiful girl. And he had ruined it.