chapter fifty four

wooyoung gave san an hour of his time as promised

wooyoung gave san an hour of his time as promised. the time that was spent in the clash with mirae didn't really count since it wasn't an encounter 'worthy of anyone's time' in san's opinion, and also, it wasn't just the two of them.

san chose the location as always. it was dark outside with not much hustle and bustle since it was a weekday after all. even though closing hours were approaching, san took wooyoung to a place perfect for the two of them, a dimly lit, quiet place without a crowd; an aquarium.

"i've never been to one of these before," wooyoung stared open-mouthed at the stingrays that leisurely swimmed behind the glass. he pressed his palms against the pane and san grinned down at him from behind him.

"i take it you're enjoying this?" san teased. wooyoung was too mesmerized to pay attention to any of his words. san stared at wooyoung like he was his amusement for the day instead, taking in his eyes that twinkled with wonder, and the blue hue that tinted his tan skin. wooyoung grabbed him by the wrist and pulled him forward, snapping san out of his daze. 

"slow down," san chuckled, amused by wooyoung's excitement. he couldn't get used to wooyoung's true demeanor that was behind his rough and indifferent exterior, nor did he want to. knowing he was one of the few people who could bring out that side of him made san feel satisfied and contented.

mirae's words from earlier still lingered in the back of san's mind, and what bothered him even more was the fact that this clearly wouldn't be the last time he saw the girl. though, once his anger had settled down, san begin to wonder, maybe she was right? when he looked at it from another perspective, it seemed like pissing san off wasn't what she intended to do. rather, she was genuinely just trying to protect wooyoung from him. he shook his head free of the intrusive thoughts, deciding to enjoy the moment with wooyoung instead. 

"hey, look at that," san chuckled, pointing at the glass. "it looks like a floating rock."

"that's a shark, genius," wooyoung said, stating the obvious and san rolled his eyes.

"it was a joke."

"well it wasn't funny," he responded, sticking his face up against the glass to see the snorkeler as he fed the fishes. the action made san snort and he looked away instantly, diverting his attention to something else. how adorable.

a group of younger girls approached from behind them, and wooyoung turned to san almost like it was instinct at this point. "stop pulling your mask down!" wooyoung scolded in whispers, slapping san on the arm.

"it's suffocating!" san defended, ignoring the ache in the part of his arm where wooyoung had just hit him. he pulled his mask up obediently so wooyoung would stop glaring at him so intimidatingly, and he did. he just casually walked ahead with his hands clasped behind him, and san shook his head. hitting people seemed to be an everyday thing for someone like wooyoung. 

"hey, woo," san said, catching up to wooyoung and slinging an arm around his shoulder. "my filming ends tomorrow, which means i'll be free for the rest of this week and the next one. why don't we make some plans for the weekend?"

"sure, but on sunday," wooyoung said passively, obliviously placing his hand on top of san's like he always did. "i have plans this saturday."

san raised his eyebrows. surely, he wasn't going to see mirae again. right? "with who? where?" he probed, hoping he wouldn't utter the girl's name in response.

"yeosang, yunho, and hongjoong, another colleague of mine," he answered and san withheld a sigh of relief. "we're going to the carnival downtown. it opens once a year at the start of autumn. you should go with your friends, too. it's like tradition in this area."

"why don't we all go together?" san offered like it was the easiest decision ever. he seemed to be the only one that was unaware about his line of work at all times.

wooyoung shook his head. "you wouldn't really be noticeable if you're in bigger groups, but then again, hongjoong doesn't know about you yet. and he's unpredictable, so i don't know how he'll react." he looked back at san. "can't you just go with seonghwa? and other colleagues of yours?"

"the more, the better," san nodded, thinking to himself. "so i'll bring seonghwa, too. and we can all go together."

wooyoung looked like he was controlling the urge to either slap a palm to his forehead in annoyance or slap a palm to san's face in frustration. "...fine," he gave in, and san was almost surprised. "i'll ask hongjoong about it later. but don't blame me if things go wrong."

san shrugged nonchalantly. all of wooyoung's friends (except the girl) accepted san almost immediately. they didn't really act out much or cause disturbances to san, nor did they out his location to anyone, seeing how he was perfectly safe. they seemed to be trustable people, unsurprisingly, because wooyoung was obviously a good judge of character.

"woah," wooyoung exclaimed in awe, gaping at a ring shaped glass behind which multiple purple jellyfish pulsed through the water. "they're so pretty." he said, pressing his palm against the glass.

san slithered his hand off of wooyoung's shoulder, taking a few steps backwards and impulsively fishing his phone out of his pocket. he opened the camera app, quickly taking a picture of wooyoung, who had his back turned to him as he gawked at the glowing creatures. san looked down at the phone screen and grinned to himself. as always, he refused to question his own actions, and he refused to ask himself why he admired almost everything wooyoung did.

he put his phone back in his pocket before wooyoung noticed and guided him forward by the shoulders. "keep going," he said under his breath, "they're going to close soon."

once they were out of the aquarium, san led wooyoung to the merchandise shop to end things off. he strolled behind wooyoung, who was poking all the plushies they walked past.

"this one looks like you," he said, stopping at the collection of whale shark plushies.

"is this your way of calling me adorable?" san joked, picking up a tiny whale shark keychain from the rack. "i'll get you one so you'll remember me for a long, long time."

"that sounds like a threat," wooyoung remarked and san scoffed.

"what about this one? this one looks like you," san pointed at the orca plushies and wooyoung chuckled.

"you can get one of those so you can remember me for a long, long time as well."

"that sounds perfect," san grinned at wooyoung admiringly, even though the latter wouldn't be able to see it through the mask. wooyoung shuddered at the coy statement. he picked out an orca keychain and handed it over to san.

"well then, i hope you whale remember me for a long time, jung wooyoung."

"keep making horrible jokes like that and i will or-castrate you, choi san."