chapter forty nine

wooyoung woke up with a big stretch of his arms

wooyoung woke up with a big stretch of his arms. it felt like he'd been out for almost a day. he opened his eyes quite peacefully with a meek smile on his face that soon disappeared upon seeing his unfamiliar surroundings.

he sat up straight, perplexed and panic-stricken. the quilt on the bed he was sleeping in was grey and minimal, just like everything else in the bedroom. where was he?

his phone was on the nightstand by the bed and he reached for it as soon as he spotted it. it was half past one in the afternoon. he slapped a palm to his forehead as soon as the events from yesterday replayed in his head. he'd gone to get drinks with a disheartened hongjoong; what a smart decision to make, drinking heavily on a weekday. hongjoong had called him almost seven times throughout the morning. it was too late for him to show up to work now, anyway, so he decided to worry about that later. his primary concern for now was, where the hell was he?

wooyoung got off the bed, even though he wanted to stay a second longer because of how comfortable he was. he put on his invisible investigator goggles, peering around the room for answers. though nothing seemed to help him because of the lack of decoration in the bedroom. what kind of miserable person was this?

he ran a hand through his hair frustratedly, before freezing in his spot as realization hit him like a ton of bricks. come to think of it, this bedroom had the exact same layout as the one in the apartment he'd crashed in... before san moved in, of course.

wooyoung slapped a hand to his mouth, quickly overcome with unbearable embarrassment. how the hell did he end up here? to make matters worse, he had no memory of the previous night. exactly when did he run into san? he called hongjoong back hastily, hoping at least hongjoong would answer some of his questions.

hongjoong picked up almost immediately. "hello? woo? are you okay? you didn't answer any of my calls."

"i'm completely hungover," wooyoung sighed. "i just woke up. hey, how did i get back home yesterday?"

"...i don't really know." hongjoong said after a pause. "mingi took me back to my place last night. he said i called him, but i don't remember. you were already gone by the time he came. don't you remember anything?"

"no..." wooyoung dragged. "i'll talk to you later, okay? my head is killing me." he hung up and tossed his phone onto the bed, feeling discouraged. that wasn't helpful at all. he reached for the door handle, only to stop himself.

there was no chance san was at home, right? no matter how concerned san was, there was no way it was to the point that he'd take a day off from work. of course, he didn't think wooyoung was that irresponsible... right?

wooyoung hesitantly opened the door, and a relieved sigh escaped from him upon seeing the empty and quiet household. after his moment of satisfaction was over, he made a beeline for the door, but he was just a minute too late as the sound of keys wriggling in the keyhole from outside made him stop in his tracks. but why? he wasn't ready to face san just yet!

"oh, you're up," san acknowledged wooyoung as soon as he'd stepped inside, holding grocery bags in his hands. he wore a black mask, preventing wooyoung from seeing the expression on his face. "how are you feeling? i bought some aspirin for you. you know, since you drank a lot."

wooyoung gaped at him in shock. "what are you doing here?" he stuttered awkwardly, almost breaking into a sweat as he followed san to the kitchen. "don't you have work?"

san set down the bags on the counter, not sparing wooyoung a single glance. "i took a day off. i ...hurt myself quite badly, you see."

wooyoung furrowed his eyebrows in concern. he looked at san, down at his hands, his feet, everywhere. he seemed fine. "hurt yourself? where?"

san looked at wooyoung with raised eyebrows like he'd expected him to know the answer to his own question. upon realizing that wooyoung was actually genuinely clueless, san sighed and pulled his mask down to his chin. a huge bruise had formed on his right cheek, colored a painful shade of purple and red. wooyoung gasped.

"what happened?!" he shrieked, forgetting all of his embarrassment. "did you get into a fight, or something? did you hurt yourself on set?"

the speechless look on san's face never left. "...you really don't remember?" he laughed almost sardonically and gestured towards wooyoung's hand.

an iffy feeling took over his stomach as wooyoung lifted his own hand. his knuckles were slightly reddened. wooyoung tilted his head at it curiously before he realized what he had done a second later, and a mortified expression took over his face. his hands were over his mouth as he stared at san, half embarrassed and half apologetic, but mostly embarrassed. it was a kind of humiliation he'd never felt before. exactly what had warranted him to punch choi san, regardless of how drunk he was? he made a mental note to never drink more than a single bottle of alcohol thereafter.

wooyoung wanted to apologize. he wanted to verbally beat himself up, but he couldn't utter a single word.

"yeah, you don't have to apologize," san dismissed, but he still looked annoyed and gloomy. "you were drunk. it was a drunken mistake."

"...what else did i do?" wooyoung asked, though he really didn't want an answer to that.

"hmm, let's see," san looked off into the distance with his arms crossed as he recalled the events from the night before. "you said you didn't like me, and then you said i need to give up on acting. you said i'm horrible at it, and then you said park seonghwa is ten times, no, a hundred times better than me. and then i offered to let you sleep in my room for the night but you called me a pervert, and then you punched me in the face. hard."

every word that came out of san's mouth was like an another inch to the hole that wooyoung wanted to dig into the ground and hide in forever. san turned to look at wooyoung sourly. "if your blows are that strong when you're drunk, i can only imagine how it is when you're sober."

wooyoung dropped his face into his hands, feeling like he didn't have the right to hold eye contact with san. no wonder he looked so dispirited and irritated. he wanted to comfort the celebrity somehow, but how was he supposed to do that? "i'm sorry..." he muttered, voice muffled by his palms.

"i told you it's fine." san disregarded his apology, busying himself with unpacking the groceries. wooyoung could only watch him helplessly, unable to alleviate the guilt that weighed down on him. how could he have ever said something so insensitive and heartless? he'd never felt so ashamed of himself. san seemed distant and wasn't like his usual, cheerful self. he had always had impenetrable confidence and ego, but words as harsh as wooyoung's were enough to hurt even the most indifferent person.

"do you have any plans for today?" wooyoung asked hopefully, praying san hadn't given up on their one hour of time, regardless of how hurt he was.

"you're hungover," san said impassively, shoving milk cartons into the almost empty fridge. "just lay down and rest for today."

wooyoung sighed.

how was he ever going to make it up to him?