Part 12 - Realisation

Sunday Morning

Abhinav climbed down the stairs, entering the living room. There had been a restless quality to his sleep which had carried forward to his waking self as well. Am I your Nikkeji? Abhinav searched for Akshara. He wanted straight answers today. A name. The name. That glorious, wondrous name.

Mimi and Bade Papa were discussing some business related problem while Badi Maa was reading the newspaper. He could hear the noises coming from the kitchen. Kairav was cooking and Muskaan was helping him. Akshara and Nikkeji were nowhere to be seen. Abhinav made to go in the garden but the main door was locked.
'Bade Papa, the door..'
'Ah, yes! Abhinav ji. Pest control is happening in the garden outside. All doors and windows have been closed by the pest control company to stop the toxic fumes from coming in. The process will be over in 2 hours. Come and sit with us!'.
Abhinav sat with them and asked,' Where Akshara?'.

Muskaan entered the living room and sat next to Badi Maa, interrupting,'Bade Papa, Akshara Bhabhi called and said that the jam delivery went well. The kids left for the school picnic. Only her efforts to make the special jams went waste. Ruhi and her cousin.. What's his name...? Sudhir! He fainted in the football field while they were waiting for the picnic bus. The school doctor was out of town but nothing to worry about. He has fainted before also. He's fine. Both the kids missed the picnic though. Ruhi stayed back to give Sudhir company'.

Abhinav heard the words and shook his head. It was not possible. He had misheard. Bade Papa continued the conversation, 'That's sad! They were so excited for the picnic! Though there is no greater wealth than health. Sudhir is in safe hands. Family of doctors after all!'. Abhinav's breathing eased.

'Bade Papa, Abhimanyu and Aarohi have gone to a village to spread awareness about modern medicines. Rest except for Manjari ji have gone for a vacation to the USA. Manjari ji wanted to have the kids room renovated while they were at the picnic, so she stayed back. Those plans wasted as well! Manjari ji will take care of Sudhir. It's normal for kids to faint under the scorching Udaipur Sun', Muskaan said, dismissively.

Before Abhinav knew what he was doing, he found himself at the door, pulling with all his strength. The door didn't move a millimetre.
'Abhinav ji, what's the matter?'.
'Bade Papa', said Abhinav, words rushing in panic, 'I have to go. Get the doors opened!'.
'Abhinav ji, the pest contro..'
'NOW! GET THE DOORS OPENED!'.
Badi Maa reprimanded him, 'Abhinav ji! Control yourself! This is no manner to talk to..'

Abhinav had moved away from the doors and was pounding against the windows. It was futile. I have to reach the Birlas. I HAVE TO REACH BIRLA HOUSE. Abhinav pulled out his mobile and called the Birla House landline. The landline rang but no one picked up. Abhinav fought against his increasing panic and dialed Ruhi 's number. Ruhi didn't answer either. Abhinav tried the Birla House landline again. No answer.
Think, Abhinav, think! Abhimanyu? Should he call Abhimanyu? No, he wouldn't be able to come from the village in time. Nikkeji had to be admitted in hospital. Home care wasn't enough for him.
Abhinav started banging his fist against his forehead.
Akshara! Akshara would make everything fine. Abhinav dialed Akshara's number, the screen blurring as his eyes teared up. No answer! Abhinav caught his head, the pain increasing to an almost unbearable level.

'Bhai ji! Bhai ji! Can you hear me? What's wrong?'.
'Muskaan! Akshara, reach her anyhow, please! Take.. Ouija.. hospital now'.
'Bhaiji, go to sleep. You need rest'.
'He needs medical attention. He had heart trouble, Muskaan!', said Abhinav, voice thick with tears and fear.
'Relax, Bhaiji, Sudhir is fine. You haven't even met him! How can a kid have heart trouble? You are overthinking this'.
Bade Papa added, ' Sudhir is fine at his Home. Our Nikkeji is fine here, Damaad ji. If Nikkeji is fine, then everything is fine, right, Damaad ji?'.
'My Nikkeji is NOT FINE. Akshara, I need Akshara..', said Abhinav, eyes moving around frantically, searching for a way to escape. The bedroom window, thought Abhinav, losing all senses, that can be open. I will jump into the garden from there.

Abhinav ran towards the staircase and Muskaan quickly understood.
'Kairav ji! Catch Bhai ji! He's going to jump from the upstairs window!'.
Bade Papa, Kairav, Pushpak sprung into action and held onto Abhinav and dragged him onto the living room sofa. Mimi and Badi Maa watched in concern as Muskaan readied the emergency injection.

Abhinav saw the injection as he struggled futilely against the hands holding him and felt the world collapsing around him.
'I need to go. My Nikkeji!', sobbed Abhinav, 'let me out, I beg you!'.
'What's your problem, Abhinav ji? We are fine, Akshara is fine, Nikkeji is fine, Sudhir is fine..', tried Badi Maa, one last time.
'My son is not fine, Badi Maa', stated Abhinav, anger rising once again,' Why don't you all UNDERSTAND? MY SON'S LIFE IS IN DANGER! MY ABHIR IS IN DANGER! If anything happens to him, I WILL NOT SPARE ANYONE! RELEASE ME AT ONCE!'.

Abhinav felt the grip on him loosen and at the same time heard the creak of the main door. The main door was opening and Abhinav made a dash for it, pausing only when he saw Akshara standing there with.. his Doctor.

'Akshara! Come quickly', said Abhinav, pulling Akshara's hand, 'Abhir has fainted again. We have to get him to a hospital quickly and contact Abhimanyu so that he can rush back here. I don't understand. Abhir was perfectly fine, Abhimanyu confirmed that, why has he started fainting again after so long?', Abhinav's panic making him spill out every thought crossing his mind, 'Is it because he is unable to adjust with the Birlas? Abhir didn't come for the weekends also! My boy! Why does he have to suffer so much? But we will make everything good for him once again, Akshara! Akshara?', asked Abhinav confused as she pulled back her hand when they reached the car.

'Abhir is fine, Abhinav! All of this was to get you your real Nikkeji back and Abhir his Papa back'.
Abhinav gaped at her. 'Abhir is fine? He didn't faint? He is completely fine?'.
Akshara nodded and Abhinav let out a huge sigh of relief, the pounding in his head vanishing. He let out a prayer of thanks to every God he knew for keeping his Abhir safe and healthy.

Abhinav felt Akshara wrap her hands around him and they walked back to Goenka House, where they would discuss and ask and listen and ready themselves for what was to come ahead.