Orion the hunter

Orion was a giant of great beauty born from Poseidon and Euryale and possessed the ability to walk on water. He served king Oinopion of Chios as a hunter of great renown but was exiled and made blind after he forcefully took the kings daughter.

After being exiled, he travelled across the sea to Lemnos where he hoped to recruit the assistance of the god Hephaestus in recovering his sight.

One of the attendants of Hephaestus, the demi-god of smelting ore, Cedalion, was sent to aid the giant in his journey to the home of the rising sun and of Helios. After the Titan Helios restored Orion's eyesight, he journeyed back to Chios to exact revenge on the king, though failed when the king locked himself in a bunker.

After he retired from his revenge journey, he left for the island of Delos, becoming a hunting companion of the goddess Artemis.

After this, there are a multitude of different stories which take place, all surrounding the death of Orion. 

Myth #1: Eos, the goddess of the dawn, cursed by Aphrodite with the need to steal away beautiful youths stole Orion and angered the gods in the process with Artemis shooting a gentle arrow as she stole him away, killing him in the process.

Myth #2: In this myth Orion fell in love with the goddess Artemis, though upon trying to pursue it the god Apollo intervened, tricking his twin sister into shooting Orion when he was out at sea.

Myth #3: This version of the myth takes place after Orion had forcefully taken one of the handmaidens of Artemis called Oupis and Artemis brutally killed him with an arrow.

Myth #4: In this version or the myth, perhaps the most common, Orion was boasting that he could and would kill every mythical beast on the earth and in fear, Gaia sent a scorpion to kill him with both of them getting placed amongst the stars, though at opposite sides of the sky.

In every version of the myth, Orion was granted ascension to the stars and became the constellation we now know as Orion the hunter.