The Story of Typhon

Typhon in Greek mythology was the first of the offspring produced when Gaia fell in love with Tartarus.

He was described to be a colossal winged storm-giant, so tall he scraped the sky itself. From the waist up he was generally human-like, possessing two giant serpents for feet, though in many accounts he was described as having a hundred heads, with one human and the rest animal. He was also supposed to have two hundred hands, all with 50 serpent serpent fingers on each. Other descriptions are less agreed upon but some report lava constantly spewing from his mouth, his eyelids constantly on fire so much so he could burn you with a glance and supposedly he spoke in a voice which emitted every horrible sound imaginable, decipherable only by the gods.

Typhon is almost always pictured as being with Echidna, depictions of her vary, she was either a nymph or a she-dragon though either depiction still pictures her as the mother of monsters, with Typhon as the father. Together they birthed almost every notable creature in Greek mythology. Cerberus, the Chimera, the Hydra, Orthus, the Nemean lion and possibly others such as the Sphinx, the giant eagle which fed on the liver of Prometheus, Ladon, the Harpies and others though these are less reliable accounts.

Typhon after years of living, felt the urge to usurp Olympus and overthrow the gods. None of the gods could withstand the attack and they were forced to flee, all assuming zoomorphized forms in order to trick Typhon, the only gods who stayed behind were Zeus and Athena.

Apollo became a hawk, Hermes an Ibis, Ares a fish, Artemis a cat, Dionysus a goat, Herakles a fawn, Hephaestus an ox and Leto a shrew and the other gods assumed what zoomorphized forms they could. (Cool thing to note is that its assumed they became the Egyptian gods in this form).

Zeus struck Typhon with a thunderbolt and Typhon fled to the sea to cease the fire though Zeus knew this and in response he dropped Mount Etna on the giants head, trapping him underneath and leaving Hephaestus as a guard, letting him constantly hammer his hot anvils against Typhon for eternity.

In another version of the myth Zeus lept from Olympus, striking Typhon on his heads, setting fire to all of them and in anger he cast Typhon into Tartarus and now, all horrible winds come from him. Boreas, Zephryrus, Notus and Eurus are all god sent blessings of wind but the kind Typhon sent is everything but, he sends the winds that destroy ships, that cast people over cliffs, that terrorise communities and destroy homes.

These are the most common versions of the myth though most versions result in either of the two consequences, Typhon is imprisoned under Mount Etna or in Tartarus.