-23-

⚔︎ Snakes and Death ⚔︎

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

Renly sucked in a sharp breath as she watched Arthur step inside the throne room, escorted by two Blacklegs.

She could not help but think that it was a rather carelessly small amount of security for Arthur Pendragon. Sure, his arms were bound and he did not have a weapon but Renly had seen the true king fight.

Arthur's eyes instantly met hers.

Blue eyes meet brown across the room.

Only two days had passed since they had seen one another. Since their fight in the caves.

He had been through so much.

Lost so much.

And yet he still remained the same.

A true king.

He was studying her as well.

Taking in her bruised skin and tired eyes that somehow still held light.

He took only a moment to let his eyes linger on hers, letting her presence calm him as he was led forward, further into the room, towards his uncle.

His eyes left Renly and set their sights on Vortigern.

Hatred filled his veins.

"That's far enough."

Vortigern said lifting his hand slightly.

The blacklegs escorting Arthur pulled him harshly to a stop, about twenty feet away from them.

"Let's get this done quickly, shall we? Put him on his knees."

Vortigern ordered standing up and tightening his grip on Excalibur.

Renly's body tensed.

He had a plan.

She reminded herself in an attempt to calm her quickening heartbeat.

Her eyes instinctively went to the ceiling, seeking her familiar chess board in an attempt to find a way out of the situation they currently found themselves in. Trying to understand Arthur's plan. Surely he had one.

That was when she saw it.

It was only a glimpse a mere second, but she had seen it.

The snake.

Margot.

Renly fought the urge to smile.

Hope bloomed in her chest once again.