-18-

⚔︎ Earth and Water ⚔︎

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

Funerals weren't a luxury rebels had.

When people died, there was usually no retrieving the body and seldom any time to mourn.

Everyone dealt with it differently.

Renly for example pushed her feelings away until she had the time and privacy to deal with them.

Rubio had been in Renly's life for years, their friendship had been an instant one, both of them were kids when they had joined the Rebels, and they grew up together.

Renly had never really imagined there could be a world for her without Rubio in it, she had always been so incredibly sure that she would be the first one of them to die, even before the prophecy had taken over her life.

Now there she sat in her room, staring at the stone wall, mind reeling with the knowledge that she had survived one of her best friends.

It wasn't right.

It was supposed to be her.

It was meant to be her.

So why was she the one still breathing?

Her thoughts had come to a screeching halt when Arthur stormed into her room.

She could see it in his eyes, the anguish, the pain, the anger.

"Tell me."

He demanded through gritted teeth.

He wasn't looking at her from where he stood in the middle of her room.

Renly sighed looking down at her hands, trying to keep the tears away from her eyes.

She took a deep breath before standing up.

"Arthur-"

She began but he interrupted her.

"Tell me!"

He shouted. She flinched at the volume of his voice as it echoed through the caves.

"This isn't the right time."

She said through gritted teeth.

She knew what he was doing, looking for a distraction, something to fixate on that wasn't the death of his best friend.

He shot her a lethal glare.

"I think this is the perfect time."

He shot back.

Renly's face crumpled slightly, her eyes looking up at the ceiling in an attempt to find the right words and keep the tears from falling.

"I think this is the perfect time for you to tell me about the fact that you think that you have to die to make me king."