-19-

⚔︎ Queens and Chess ⚔︎

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

"Knight takes pawn and..."

Renly moved her knight.

"That's checkmate!"

She stood up and bowed to a fake audience.

Arthur did not even look at the board, his eyes transfixed on the beaming smile on Renly's face, he had to bite his lip to keep from grinning at the sight.

"What's the score again?"

She asked him teasingly cupping her ear as if she wanted to hear him better.

Arthur chuckled and shook his head, starting to reset the pieces for another game.

"You know, you're what people would call a bad winner."

He said pointing at her with one of the knights.

"No, you are what people would call a bad winner, I am just an insensitive one."

Renly said grinning as she sat back down on her chair.

Arthur let out a deep chuckle before going back to setting up the board.

"Funny."

He muttered scratching his beard.

"I thought so."

Renly said back shrugging innocently.

They looked at each other for a moment before Renly burst out laughing, causing Arthur to do the same.

Their laughter died down, Renly's slowly smile turning into a grin.

"You gonna tell me why you're brooding yet?"

She asked amusement coloring her voice.

Arthur looked up at her, her glittering brown eyes and knowing smile piercing into him as if she could see right into his mind.

"I don't brood,"

Arthur said defensively.

Renly raised an eyebrow, her eyes narrowing just the tiniest bit.

"I am not brooding!"

He repeated.

He had in fact been brooding, the 'boat bash' as Renly so affectionately called it had been a success and nobody had gotten hurt, but Arthur could not help the guilt within him at the thought of not having been there.