Forty five

__________
{y/n}

My eyes don't move from the open window, my breath still and my body tense. I count down the seconds in my head.

3... 2... 1...

Silence fills the air as my heart beats rapidly in my chest. Then, I see him. Just for a second, I see his figure in the air, his arms outstretched as he reaches for the helicopter. He leaps towards the waiting arms of salvation and I let out a breath I didn't even realize I was holding. I count in my head, my eyes following every movement of his figure as it draws closer.

"Come on." I whisper to myself.

As the moment stretches on and on, my anxiety builds and my breaths grow shorter and shallower.

I continue to count in my head.

"Come on, Simon..."

But his figure suddenly disappears. My heart stops and my worst fears rise in my mind.

"No!" I scream out, my hands shaking as I cling to the side of the open door. "No he was right there!" I yell as I clutch at the window, looking out through tears in my eyes. With every second that passes, my heart grows heavier and the hope that I carry in my chest begins to crumble away.

Suddenly, I feel a hand on my shoulder and I jump slightly. I turn in surprise to find Caleb standing next to me. He looks solemn and he speaks softly. "I'm sorry, Y/n."

I spin around angrily, refusing to accept what Caleb is saying. "No!" I snap. "He's okay, he's gotta be okay. He has to be." I say defiantly.

I let out a deep and shaky breath, trying to rein in my emotions as a flood of tears falls from my eyes.

"Y/n...C'mon.." He says softly, pulling him into his arms but I don't let up.

"Don't fucking touch me." I shove him away as he and the others try to pull me away from the window, but I cling to the side, desperate for a glimpse of hope, a sign that Simon has made it to safety.

I struggle to keep it together, but tears well up in my eyes and I shake my head desperately. "No! He can't be gone..."

"Y/n, stop." Soap whispers, his eyes too were glossed.

"We gotta move, the buildings going down." The pilot says over his shoulder, and it took every fibre in my body to not jump over that seat and take control of the helicopter myself. Not that I knew how to fly the thing, I guess I was just so desperate to hold onto the faint hope of Simon being alive.

I began to panic as they pulled me away from the window, kicking and thrashing as I tried to grasp onto anything I could get my hands on. I look around desperately for any sign of him. But all I see is the crumbling building and the smoke and rubble filling the air. I can't let Simon go, and I'm not ready to believe that he's really gone.

"No! Don't leave him!" I shout, and I keep fighting them off as I refuse to leave Simon behind. "Caleb, don't you hear me? We can't just leave him! I won't do it!" I yell, tears streaming down my face.

"Sweetheart." My fathers voice hits me like a punch to the gut, knocking the air out of my lungs as he pulls me into his chest.