Twenty Six

_________
{y/n}

The morning sun spills in through the windows of the small cafeteria, filling the space with a soft, golden light. The room is quiet and serene, a welcome respite from the bustle of the base. I sit alone at a table in one corner, quietly enjoying my breakfast. I take in the peaceful scene, sipping on my tea and savoring the moment. I let the morning calm wash over me, allowing myself to relax and destress.

My moment with Simon earlier this morning had been interrupted, he was called away for a pressing meeting along with the other members of Task Force 141.

The memory of last night flits past my mind. I felt a bittersweet tug, a sense of longing mixed with a feeling of peace and contentment. His arms wrapped around me, holding me close. The quiet murmur of his voice in my ear as he whispered his assurances. My body pressed against his, our warmth mingling together. The way he wrapped me in his embrace as if to shield me from the world. The sense of safety and peace that filled me. The feeling of home and belonging that I felt in his arms. It all floods back to me, and I close my eyes and let the memory unfold.

"Y/n..."

A muffled voice is soon heard, though I'm so deep in thought that I barely notice what was being said. The voice is soft and distant, but it slowly manages to filter through my thoughts and into my consciousness. I look up.

"Hello? You listening?"

"Hm?" I shook my head out of its day dream, focusing my attention on the unfamiliar soldier standing before me.  "Sorry, I uh— you were saying?" Trying to shake off the lingering traces of my previous thoughts.

A light hearted chuckle came from him as he held his food tray in hand. "I asked do you mind if I sit?" He points to the empty seat across from me.

Shit... His face felt familiar but I couldn't remember his name. His name read 'A. Welsh' on his uniform. Was it Aaron? Alvin? Albert? Anthony? Fuck...

"Oh, yeah sure."

I smile at the soldier as he takes a seat across from me. His casual attitude and easy demeanor makes him feel like a friend I've known for years. I watch as he digs into his food, enjoying the way he's made himself so comfortable with me, yet I don't recall ever speaking yet alone meeting the guy.

"Sorry to intrude like this, the other tables were full." He chuckles. "And I prefer to enjoy my breakfast in peace." He nods towards the ruckus unfolding at the other tables who were seated full of soldiers.

I turn my attention back to him. "I get it." I laugh softly.

He then breaks the silence. "So, what are you up to today?"

"Oh, nothing much." I smile bitterly. "Not really much for me to do at the moment."

I notice a subtle change in his expression, his eyes softening as he looks at me. "Shit, I'm sorry..." He says softly. "I didn't mean to bring that up—"

"Oh, no it's okay." I utter, forcing myself to sound upbeat.

"I never got to give my condolences personally." He starts, his expression softening. "He was a good kid. Always down for a good laugh."

"I'm glad you enjoyed his presence. He's always been a funny person." I reply with a little more relaxation.

"Yeah, he was fun to be around." He flashes a friendly smile.

I return a smile, though my thoughts drift for a moment. There's a familiar feel to him, like we've crossed paths before, but I can't quite remember when or how. I decide to ask him directly. "Sorry, I don't mean to sound rude but have we met before?"