epilogue

I hadn't been over at the Gallaghers for days. I occasionally asked Blake how everyone was doing, though. Jimmy had gone AWOL, Frank got arrested, and Kev and V were going to be parents, with her mom as the surrogate. 

I hadn't seen much of Kev or V lately, and I missed them both. 

I also hadn't seen much of Ian lately. But according to Blake, he was either out or in bed most of the time. 

______________________________________________________

It was a Saturday, and I went downstairs to get coffee, and Jenna was at the kitchen table.

"Good morning, sweetie."

"Morning."

I grabbed a cup and mixed it with milk and sugar.

"You've been at home more than usual," she said, "Are you and Lip ok?"

I shook my head, "No, we broke up. Well, he broke up with me."

"I'm sorry, love."

"No, it's ok," I said, "It was bound to happen. We've been fighting for a while. Mostly about colleges and him not treating me well."

"College?"

"Yeah, he didn't plan on applying," I said, "So, I did it for him. He was mad at me for a while, but then he understood that I did it all for him, and why I did. Karen Jackson also came back to town a few weeks ago, and we started fighting a lot about that. I think it's for the better honestly."

Jenna took my hand, "Your heart's in the right place, sweetheart. I know how much you love that boy. And just between you and me, I think he was a great fit for you."

I shook my head, "If he was a great fit for me, then why didn't it feel great?"

"That's love, hon," she said, "Sometimes it's a beautiful thing. Other times it hurts like hell. But if it's the right person, you overlook the bad, and you cherish the good.

_________________________________________________________________

That night, I stayed up late and watched That 70s show, one of my favorites. I needed a light comedy show after all the shit I'd been through. Someone knocked on my door. I opened it, and there was Ian.

"Hey," I smiled, "Come in."

"Thanks," He said, "Um, I'm not gonna stay here very long, but I just wanted to say goodbye."

"Goodbye? Where are you going?"

"On an ROTC retreat," he said, "Yeah, it's gonna be a while, but I'll be back soon. Sorry, this is all so sudden."

He seemed scatterbrained and troubled, but I leveled with him.

"When will you be back?" I said.

"Don't know, in a few weeks probably," he said.

"Ok," I said, "Well, I'll miss you."

He hugged me tightly, and for a long time, "I wanted to say thank you for being one of the best people in my life. And for being the first person I came out to. I love you, Mayo."

"I love you too, Ian," I chuckled, "So much."

When we pulled away, I kissed him on the cheek.

"Lip misses you," Ian said, "He'll come around. I promise."

I nodded, "And it's ok if he doesn't. I know I have to move on with my life."

"Mayo, trust me," he said, "When have I ever lied to you?"

I nodded, "You say bye to Mickey and Mandy?"

He nodded.

"He cares about you, Ian," I said, "I know he does. No matter what bullshit he spews out."

We hugged again and said a final goodbye before he left. If I knew that was the last time I'd see him for months, I would've never let him leave. I wouldn't yelled at him and called him an idiot. 

_________________________________________________________________________

Lip POV

I couldn't stop thinking about Mayo. It was wrong for me to scream at her and put my hands on her like that. Especially after Mandy took the blame for everything and confessed.

 I wasn't a good boyfriend to Mayo, and sometimes I wasn't a good friend, and she was right about one thing in particular. She went above and beyond for me. The other day, a member of MIT admissions came to my house and told me I got into MIT. So, I knew what I had to do. 

Mayo POV

The next day, I got a knock on my door. I answered it, and it was Lip.

"Oh, hey," I said.

"Hey, um," he said, pausing for a bit, "I got into MIT. It's a full ride, and it wouldn't have happened without you. So, thank you."

I nodded, "You're welcome. Are you gonna go?"

He shrugged.

"Look, I'm sorry about grabbing and screaming at you at the wedding," he said, "Mandy told me everything. I know you, and that you would never do that. I was just so mad, and I was being stupid. And I had this grad party, and it just felt so incomplete without you, because I, I, I love you."

I stepped outside and hugged him, "I love you too. And if you do end up going, I know you'll do fucking amazing."

We pulled away, and he smiled, "Promise you'll visit me?"

I shrugged, trying not to smile, "Perhaps."

He chuckled, walking off the porch and back home. I smiled as I watched him walk away. 

I might've not been the perfect girlfriend or friend, but I did that. That much I could say.