is that my shirt?

Ian, Steve, and I got burgers for lunch at Sonic and brought them back to the house.

"Burgers coming through!" Ian said.

"Lip, napkins!" Fiona said.

"I can do it," I heard a voice say, and my mood instantly changed. Karen was there. 

"No, it's ok. Sit down," Lip said, placing his hand on her shoulder. 

Why the fuck was she here? And why couldn't Lip have at least given me a warning? 

"Only ketchup?" Steve said.

"Me!" Debbie said enthusiastically.

"Uh, cheese, pickles, and special sauce."

"Me," I said flatly, "Thanks."

"Oh, hi, Mayo," Karen said with a smile.

"Oh, great. You're here. You know, if you need the boys to help you with science, the kitchen table is in there. We don't have a tablecloth, but I'm sure you won't care if people see you," I said sarcastically as Lip popped up behind me.

"Mayo, please don't be a bitch, ok?" he said.

I threw my hands up, "I wasn't- 

 "I'm serious. Stop it."

"Fuck off," I mumbled. 

Fiona looked at me and gave me a thumbs up with a concerned look, meaning to ask if I was ok. 

"It's fine," I mouthed. 

I sat next to Ian while V came in and tried to make conversation with Karen, who sat with Lip when Fi shushed her because the movie was about to start. Karen leaned her head on Lip's shoulder, so I just shook it off and took a bite of my burger. God, I wish I knew what Lip was doing with a girl like that. And after he knew what she put me through. It wasn't fair, and it's not something a good friend does. 

About fifteen minutes in, Frank comes busting in. His face and shirt were all bloody. 

Ian got up and walked to his dad, "Hey, is that my shirt?"

"Yeah," Frank said, not giving a fuck.

"I-I'm just asking," Ian backed off. 

Frank headbutted Ian so hard that he fell onto the table.

"WHOA!" 

"Fuck!" I said, grabbing Ian and cradling him in my arms.

"Guy at the bar said to pass it on!"

"You fucking prick!" I yelled.

"The fuck is wrong with you, Frank?" Steve said angrily, pushing him back.

"Jesus Christ, Dad," Fiona said, holding onto Ian's hand. Debbie got up and grabbed the frying pan, but Lip stopped her, and V grabbed both Blake and Carl so they wouldn't see what was going on. 

"You're drunk, Frank!"

"This is drunk?"

"Steve, stop it!" Fiona said.

"Don't do this to your kids, Frank!"

I grabbed the napkins I had left and gave them to Ian, who was holding his nose in pain. 

"It's ok, Ian," I said, trying to remain calm. 

"You think you're a tough guy, Steve? Because you look like a premenstrual Filippino!"

It was a funny insult, and I would've laughed if it wasn't for the circumstances. 

After Fiona managed to get Steve out of the house, she turned back to Ian.

"Ice!" V said.

"It's a bloody nose. He's not dying," Frank said, making me seethe.

"Really, Frank?"

"Anybody notice that I'm bleeding?" 

"Oh, we noticed. We just don't care," I said.

"You've got a big mouth, Maelyn," Frank said, and I was surprised he knew my full name, "Lip, you should be thankful for that."

I wanted to run over and punch him so he'd be bleeding more, but it'd do no good. Ian angrily got up and went upstairs as I wiped away a stray tear. Lip followed him shortly. 

"I should go," Karen said, leaving out the front door. 

"Yeah, me too," I said, "Come on, Blake. Let's go."

"Wait!" V said as I put on my coat, "Mayo, that Karen. Is that the same Karen you used to be friends with?"

"Yep, same one," Fi jumped in, coming back into the living room, "You sure you're ok with that?"

"I'm not ok with it," I said, "I don't know what he sees in her. She's just going to use him and break his heart."

Both women looked at me with a sympathetic look.

"You know, it's weird," Fiona said, "I always thought Lip liked you."

I scoffed, "What? No."

Fiona and V gave me the Oh, please, look.

"Oh, come on, girl. Like we don't know you've had a crush on him forever."

I rolled my eyes, "Whatever."

_________________________________________

When we walked in, Diana and Jason were making out on the couch. 

"Gross!" I yelled, making them break apart. 

"Dude, we're kind of in the middle of something," Jason said.

"It's ok, babe," Diana said, "Mayo's just jealous because no boy ever wants to go near her."

I flipped her off, even though it wasn't true. It's not like I was a virgin. I just never had a boyfriend, and I only slept with one guy. Thankfully, Diana and Jason moved upstairs while I made hot chocolate, and my dad walked downstairs. 

"Where've you been?"

"At the Gallaghers."

"I don't like those kids, and I don't like their dad."

"So you've said," I said bluntly, "And believe me, no one likes Frank except Frank."

"Listen. I'm making dinner Sunday and I have a special announcement, so I want you to be home that night."

"Ok," I said, "Can I bring a friend? Maybe Lip or Ian?"

"No."

"Come on, Dad!" I said, "You know, maybe if you gave them one chance, you'd see they're not as bad as you think-

"I said no! It's a family dinner," he said.

I rolled my eyes and sat down on the couch, "Fine." 

I understood why he didn't like Carl, but the rest of them? He had no reason to dislike them. My dad's a stubborn man, and once he's made up his mind, that's final. But it wasn't like I gave a fuck what he thought.