"I know, but we think that this would be best for this situation." She gestured to my leg, which I hadn't looked at since it was bandaged. "We need to take the bandages off and examine the damage first."

A noise from the chair caught my attention. Alder was waking up, struggling to get out of Pax's grip. He hadn't spoken, and his hair was a bird's nest in every way but the literal sense.

I let out a small laugh. It distracted me from the pain which jolted through my body every time the doctor moved my leg. It wasn't quite painful, but it was very strange. It was like having pins and needles.

"Pacs," Alder hissed into Pax's ear. "Pacs, leggo." He continued to struggle.

It was obvious to me that Pax was now awake, but his eyes were shut, and he didn't move. His lip twitched in amusement, I could've sworn I saw his grip get tighter, but I could be wrong.

"Pacs," Alder whined and pushed against Pax's arms with his back. "Lemme out."

After a few more seconds of teasing, Pax gave up trying for a second. Alder fell backwards with a small squeak before being caught by Pax again.

"Good morning," Pax said before gently helping Alder off his knee.

"Mornin'," Alder said back before running out the door. "I'll be back!" he yelled behind him.

Pax smiled a little and rested awkwardly in his chair.

I tried to lean forward to tell him I was awake, but I couldn't reach him. I huffed a little, hoping that would make him realise that I'm awake.

"Good morning, Pax," my father said from behind me. His voice made me jolt and wince in pain. "Good morning, Farley." He moved around the table so that he was at eye-level with me. "What are you doing today, doctor?"

"For now, I'm just going to check if the wound is actually healing. I was consulting some of my colleagues last night, and we think he could switch back today."

Colleagues? What kind of a doctor is she? Surely werewolves didn't just have a private medical service. I realised then that I didn't really know a lot about werewolf society and how we all got together in the first place. We really should have a meeting after this, all of us.

"That's wonderful news," my father said with more excitement than I think I've ever heard from him. "I'm going to tell your mother; I'll be back soon." He swept down and placed a kiss on my forehead before hurriedly leaving the room.

"Good morning," Pax said quietly. He kept flinching whenever he breathed. He even spoke slower. He lifted a hand to rub his chest and then flinched. "I'd nearly forgotten about that."

I laughed. I didn't know how it would be possible to forget about being shot in the chest. I also didn't know how on earth he managed to sit up. Maybe last night was a cause of adrenaline and distraction, but he was going to regret it soon.

"Pax," the doctor said, grabbing his attention. "I want you to be lying down more. You're not doing anything good for your blood circulation and strength by sitting up."

Pax looked very confused, like he didn't know what exactly to do. After a while he sunk to the floor, sliding off the seat he had once been sitting in. He lay down with his hands clasped together on his chest. He looked dead with his eyes staring at nothing and his posture so stiff.

"Farley, I need you to try and move a little."

I didn't know what the doctor meant, but I tried to move onto my back instead of on my side. The complete right side of my body was numb from lying on it for who knows how many hours. It hurt, and my tail got caught pretty uncomfortably behind me. My front paws were up in the air, as well as my back left leg. My right leg wouldn't move, it was still spread out painfully, as though I had lost all control over it.