Chapter 20

≪•◦ Matteo ◦•≫

•◦ Matteo ◦•

It's finally Friday evening, the start of the weekend. I just wrapped up my homework and studied for the upcoming exams and tests.

I make my way downstairs, brewing a refreshing pot of peppermint tea before heading back upstairs.

The rain is pouring, creating a serene atmosphere in the room. Miso is curled up in a loaf position on my bed and her eyes peacefully closed. She seems to be thoroughly enjoying the rain, radiating a sense of relaxation and contentment.

I flop onto my cozy bed, snuggling up next to Miso, resting my back against the soft pillows. I grab my book, ready to lose myself in its pages, but just as I open it, Xavier hits me up with video call. Dakarai is joining in too.

Curiously, I mutter to myself, "What do they want?"Setting my book aside, I quickly answer the call. Xavier jumps right in, exclaiming, "Finally! Why do you always take forever to pick up?" Nabeel is chilling beside him, gaming away.

I let out a sigh and brush off his question, "What happened?" It seems like something important has happened.

I'm really not a fan of video calls. It feels like a waste of time. But something important must've happened or they wouldn't have called me.

Xavier starts going on and on, trying to explain, "I have something urgent to tell you. I forgot to mention it at school. There was this thing on Wednesday, but with all the homework and exams-"

I hate it when he takes forever to get to his point. "Just get to the point and tell us what happened," I cut him off, and he takes a dramatic deep breath.

Nabeel, sitting next to him, chuckles at Xavier's theatrics. But I just roll my eyes. I'm really not in the mood to talk.

Suddenly, a knock on my door interrupts us. "Come in," I call out loudly. Alessia enters, holding a plate full of fresh fruits. "Mamma asked me to bring this to you," she places the plate full of fruits on my nightstand, and I thank her.

"Ah, perfect timing! Alessia is here too," Xavier declares, taking a bite of those stuffed grape leaves. Alessia tilts her head, looking confused at me. I just shrug, signaling that I have no clue either.

She settles on my bed, sitting opposite of me, just as Xavier finally starts to talk. "So, on Wednesday, I had to use the bathroom during class. When I walked back to the classroom, Lale accidentally bumped into me. She was so furious that she didn't even realize it was me," he explains.