Chapter 18

≪•◦ Matteo ◦•≫

•◦ Matteo ◦•

"You promised to tell her, but you still haven't. When do you plan on telling her, Matteo?" My sister Alessia complains, sitting beside me in the front seat as we drive to school.

I let out a sigh, tired of hearing her nagging. I understand her concern, but she doesn't need to remind me every chance she gets. "I know, but just as I was about to tell her, Chiara interrupted. And during lunch, she wasn't sitting next to me, so it was difficult to talk to her about it."

"Matteo?" My sister asks, her voice softening. "Mhm?" I respond, stealing a quick glance at her. "Are you scared?" she asks, her tone filled with worry.

"Scared of what?" I ask her, feeling confused. I keep my eyes on the road ahead, but I can sense her gaze on me. "To tell her, because you're afraid of what she might think of you?" she replies, still staring at me.

I'm not afraid to tell Lale about it because I haven't done anything wrong. There was never anything between me and Chiara. We were never involved romantically, and I never had any feelings for her.

"No, I'm not scared," I assure Alessia, though she doesn't seem convinced. "Why should I be afraid to tell Lale? There was never any connection between me and Chiara, and Chiara knows that too. I'll tell her today in French class, where no one can interrupt us."

Alessia lets out a sigh, her voice filled with concern. "I really hope you follow through with telling Lale this time. I have a bad feeling about this. You know what Chiara is capable of. She's not who she pretends to be." Alessia is right, no one truly knows what Chiara might do. She can be incredibly cruel, as long as it benefits her.

"I understand your concern, but Lale won't be alone if something happens. I've already warned Chiara that she'll face serious consequences if she crosses any boundaries."

Maybe Chiara is capable of many things, but she doesn't know what I'm capable of. If she ever harms Lale, I'll find a way to protect her. It's quite obvious that Chiara befriended Lale only because of me.

Alessia doesn't say anything back. I understand how worried Alessia is about Lale. She truly cares for her. And I agree, I need to have a conversation with Lale and let her know that she can't trust Chiara. The risk is too high, and there's no way that Chiara is being genuine in her friendship with Lale.

"Don't worry, I'll talk to her as soon as I can," I assure Alessia as we enter school and go our separate ways.

I head to my locker, hoping to see Lale before class starts, but she's nowhere to be found. I can't help but feel responsible for all of this since Chiara and Lale became friends because of me. I need to take action. Lale doesn't deserve any harm because of me. It's annoying when someone can't accept a rejection and continues to cause trouble for those around them.