Chapter 15

≪•◦ Matteo ◦•≫

•◦ Matteo ◦•

I walk out of the school door and see Nabeel, Dakarai and Xavier standing before my car, waiting for me.

They're all laughing about something, probably because of something Xavier said. Xavier and Dakarai are shaking hands, and it looks like they've made a bet. I wonder what it's about.

As I take my car keys out of my pocket and push the button to open the door, the sound of my car startles all three of them. Nabeel jumps slightly, Dakarai's eyes widen, and Xavier looks over his shoulder. I can't help but chuckle at their reactions as I approach my car.

The first one noticing me is Xavier, who's winking at me with his right hand. "Finally," he yells, "we've been waiting for you for 10 minutes now."

He opens the door of my car. "Sorry, I've been kept busy," I walk around to the other side of the car and open my door.

Xavier is sitting next to me, while Dakarai and Nabeel are in the back seats of the car. "What kept you so busy?" Nabeel asks curiously.

I pause for a moment, considering how to answer. I don't want to share everything that's been going on with Chiara and Lale, as I know it'll only lead to more drama. "I had some things to take care of, I'll tell you later," I say, keeping my voice neutral.

"What were you guys talking about before I came?" I ask, trying to shift the focus away from me. Xavier grins wickedly, his eyes dancing with mischief. "Just some jokes and teasing," he says, his tone light and carefree."

I glance at Dakarai and Nabeel through the rearview mirror. Dakarai's lips are twitching, and I can tell that he's trying to hold back a grin. Nabeel, on the other hand, is already buckled up and has his phone out, typing away with his thumbs. I assume he's texting his father.

I don't feel like asking what's so funny. I'm just glad that the car ride is going smoothly. So I keep my eyes on the road and drive in silence, lost in my own thoughts.

Xavier talked non-stop with Dakarai, but I didn't listen to their conversation. I was in my own thoughts, replaying the events of the today.

We arrived at my house in no time. My mom and Aurora went out shopping, Alessia is at Sophia's, and my dad is still at work. That means we have the whole place to ourselves.

As we walk towards my room, Xavier asks, "Is nobody home?"

"Nope," I reply, "we've got the house to ourselves."