Horizon Finance Part 8

Scene opens to Onyx on a call with a mysterious figure. Their voice is distorted likely to hide their identity.

Onyx: We have located the temple, sir.

Unknown Caller: Excellent. Looks like it was a good choice to hire you. What does this temple have in store?

Onyx: It appears that this temple is where the forerunners have stored their weapons. My men are working on how to access these weapons as we speak.

U.C.: Good. Get everything you can from the temple. Once you’re done send over the coordinates so that I can send my scientist to study the temple. We must extract everything we can before the UNSC discovers this temple.

Onyx: … Right.

U.C.: … Is there a problem, Onyx?

Onyx: N-no! Everything’s running smoothly.

U.C.: … You know what happens if this operation is compromised, do you not?

Onyx: Yes, sir.

U.C.: Good. Do not disappoint me, Onyx.

The call ends.

Onyx: It’s fine. Everything’s going just as planned.

A soldier comes up behind Onyx.

Soldier #1: Sir, we may have found something.

Onyx: (turns around) Show me.

They both walk into a room with a giant pillar of light in the middle.

Soldier #1: We’ve deciphered some of the wall writings. It says something something test something something worthy something something key. We theorized that we must pass some sort of test to prove our worthiness to get the key. It all refers to this pillar of light. After analyzing it we determined it to be some sort of gateway. Where it leads is anybody’s guess.

Onyx: Is that so? Have you send anyone through?

Soldier #1: Uuhhh, no?

Onyx: (turns to a random soldier) You, get over here!

The soldier approached him.

Soldier #2: What is it, sir?

Onyx kicks him into the light pillar and he disappears.

Onyx: Now, we wait.

After a few seconds Soldier #2 gets thrown back out.

Soldier #2: Guughk! Son of a bitch!

Onyx: Welcome back. So, what did you see?

Soldier #2: (gets up while coughing) Ugh, i-its… bad … real bad. All those faces… it’s people I’ve killed… every time I kill them they just keep coming back, more rotten and hideous than before like, like some sort of fucked up super zombies!

Onyx: Great. So what, it’s gonna show us all the people we’ve killed? That we hurt?

Soldier #1: It would seem so.

Onyx: … Alright. We’re running outta time. We’ll all keep trying till we get it. Here goes nothing.

Onyx jumps into the pillar of light, creating a flash fading the scene into light.

The light fades out to show the scene back to our protagonists.

Mirage: We need to stop them from getting the key.

Horizon: Why?

Mirage: Because there’s no telling what would happen if they get their hands on that ship. Sure it might help us win the war, but with that much power I doubt they’ll just stop at the aliens. After getting tossed aside by the UNSC they might be itching to get revenge.

Horizon: No. Why do you care?

Mirage: Huh?

Horizon: I asked you to help me locate Walters, which we have accomplished. There is no need for you to stop them.

Mirage: But if they get the key they can use these weapons to hurt a lot of people! Innocent people. I’m not going to let them do that.

Horizon: It is not your responsibility to prevent harm from befalling upon strangers. I seem to recall you only caring about getting paid for a job. What has changed?

Mirage: … You’re right. Back then I didn’t really care about anything or anyone besides my sister. As long as I can keep her safe and happy it doesn’t matter what I have to do. But… even after mom and dad were gone, although she was sad she never lost her spirit. She was still kind, caring, always willing to help others. My sister used to say “A helping hand can be the light in a world full of darkness.” She said that I was always there to help her. Her light. And that she wanted to be to others what I was to her. Along the way I’ve met others that taught me that there’s more beyond just suffering. To hurt and to get hurt, to care and to get cared for. It’s all part of the human experience. I’ve grown to love this world. This broken and beautiful world. When my sister died she wanted me to promise her that I would find another purpose to keep going, and I’ve found it. And I’m not gonna let some power hungry nut job break that promise.

Silence.

Mirage: … okay, now that I’ve said it out loud it sounds kinda cliché.

Horizon: You’ve changed.

Mirage: Well, I’d prefer it if you said I’ve grown.

Horizon: Growth implies the increase of mental maturity.

Mirage: Ouch, hehe. I guess I do still mess around too much. Anyways, this is my decision. You don’t have to come with me. Actually, I’d prefer it if you stay safely away. I’d hate to see one of my precious people get hurt.

Mirage turns around and walks away.

Mirage: Docent, show me where the key is.

Horizon silently gazes at Mirage leaving.

Horizon: … (quietly) the human experience…

Walters: (nervous) So, uhhh, what do we do now?

A/N: Hey, I ain't dead yet. Sorry it took so long. Writer's block combined with work study combined with procrastination made this come out after so long. Good news is there's probably going to be 4-5 chapters left till this arc ends then we go straight back to Blood Gulch. Bad news, there's gonna be a fight scene. I still am shit at those. So yeah, see ya!