Chapter 22

You meant the world to me then you went world war three
You love so mercilessly and left me out to bleed
- Ruth B

We arrived at the hotel Ace booked for us just in time for breakfast. The receptionist seemed really unfriendly, which only confirmed itself when we wanted to check in.

"Name?" She asked, old eyes looking up through squared glasses.

"Rodrigues," Ace answered curtly, tapping his credit card onto the counter impatiently.

She shot him a venomous look before she turned around on her chair, grabbed two keys and slid them over to him.
"Breakfast's from eight to ten, dinner from seven to nine."

Ace paid before she turned her attention back to the documents on her table.

"Wait," I said as Mal grabbed one key while Ace took their suitcases. "I think we're missing one key."

"Oh no," Mallory said with a smirk. "We only booked two rooms."

"What?!"

"What?!"

"There's no way I'm staying in one room with him," I said, turning back to the receptionist. "I need another room."

She just looked up annoyed, "We're booked out."

A frown left my mouth before my fingers pinched the bridge of my nose. Jack seemed unusually quiet so I turned to him. "Why aren't you saying anything? He's your brother," I complained, gesturing my hand toward Ace.

Jack shot his twin a venomous look, definitely disapproving as well. "I said I was okay with the armistice for-," he stopped himself, his eyes flicking to Mal as a disapproving grunt left his throat. He then got closer to Ace and lowered his voice, "For Mallory's sake."

"Excuse me? I'm standing right next to you," she complained, hands on her hips. Ever since she had Eleanor, she mastered her 'think about what you want to do right now, I'm warning you' look and it was fucking terrifying.

"I know, Mallory," Jack snapped, putting on a dangerous look as well. "But my brother here didn't talk about sharing a room with- that beast."

Now I was the one putting my hands on my hips. "Excuse me?!"

Jack shot me a glance, not wanting to argue with me about that before he turned his attention back to Ace. "If she gets on my nerves, she's dead," he warned with his finger raised in Ace's face.

Brother dearest just grinned wickedly. "I'm sure she knows how to defend herself," he said, throwing me a wink before grabbing Mal's suitcase and leaving.

Eventually, I had no other choice than to accompany my new roommate and see if there's a second bed or something.

When I reached the room number, Jack was already waiting in front of the door, about to unlock it.
"We don't need to talk, we don't need to share a bed, we don't need to acknowledge each other and I won't hesitate to make you sleep on the floor just because you're the woman," he grumbled, his eyes not once looking at me.

Rolling my eyes, I heard the click of the lock and picked my suitcase up to carry it through the door.

The room was pretty simple, for Ace's standards at least. Next to the entrance, there was a door leading to a bathroom, which I didn't plan to acknowledge before I hadn't cleared the bed situation.