Chapter 30

She fisted my hair and pulled my head up while bringing her mouth next to my ear. I browsed the grass for the remote control and saw it lying a few feet away from me.

"That was a mistake" she said angrily before getting up and pulling me towards the water by my hair.

I screamed in pain as I tried to free myself from her grip but it was no use with only one hand. I tried to get up by pressing my body up from the ground with my heels but I kept on sliding down again until we reached the lake.

The woman stopped and pushed me towards the water so that the back of my head was already touching it. I could feel the little stones in my hoodie and against my scalp.

Then she held me by my collar and looked at me furious. "So it's true what they say. You are tough but just like you said, it does make it easier when you're injured" she hissed at me before grabbing my jaw and pushing my head further into the lake.

"You're right" I stuttered, using all my strength to push against her. "I am tough" I went on before placing a upper cut and then bringing my head up to hit her nose with my forehead.

She screamed in pain but before I could get up she grabbed me again and turned my body to face the water. "Say hi to Tinker if you see her" she hissed gloatingly before pushing my face into the water.

How did she know about Tinker?

I wriggled with my whole body and grabbed her hands that were on the back of my head, trying to free myself but it was no use.

Water flooded my mouth and nostrils as I screamed in horror and all I could see were the bubbles my movements and screams caused.

My vision started to get blurry and my head felt dizzy. Was this how I would die?

I was about to pass out when I suddenly got pulled above the surface again. I inhaled deeply as soon as my mouth reached the top and then supported myself with my hands as the woman let go of me.

I coughed out a shit ton of water. My hoodie, hair, face and arms were completely soaked. Then I felt someone grab me by my waist and pull me backwards. I lay down on my back and breathed heavily when I saw the outlines of a guy leaning over me.

"Ace?" I asked, hoping it was him. "Close but not quite" a deep, familiar voice said in a sarcastic tone. My vision cleared just in time.

"Jack?" I burst out in confusion. He grinned at me before I sat up. "Hey Princess" he said with a smirk on his face. "What are you- Where's Ace?" "Do you really think he'll just come to save you every time you need help? How would he know where you are?"

And how did he know where I was?

"Are you injured?" he asked and it was only then when I felt my hand hurt like a bitch again. "I don't know. I think I'm okay" I said, my breath still unsteady and quick.

"Let's get you to Ace" he said before helping me up. We walked to the parking lot where I saw the woman getting arrested by Cullen and Tris, another guy was talking to Dan.

Jack drove me to the office and I already saw Ace running towards me when the gate was still closed.

"Fuck Mallory" he then said with a relieved sigh before rushing over to me.

As his body collided with mine the impact forced me a step back. His one arm wrapped around my waist while his other hand was holding the back of my neck. My wet hair was the only thing to separate our skin.

"What the fuck were you thinking? You could have died" he said angrily. "I thought Filip needed my help" I explained as he let go of me. "Some people actually care for their siblings" I heard Jack speak up from behind.

"Jack" Ace glared at him with a serious expression.

"Hello brother."

Interesting. So Ace and Jack are brothers.
Do you have any ideas who the woman was and who the mole in Ace's Mafia is that she talked about?

I hope you're enjoying my book so far, have a great day/night!