Chapter 40

"The steak is wonderful, Sady" my mother stated kindly as the cook filled her glass with wine again. "Thank you very much, Mrs. Morozov" Sady said with a proud smile.

"Why aren't you having any alcohol, father?" I asked my father because he hadn't touched a drop of alcohol sine we arrived. "We will have to talk about this later" my mother said before he could answer.

"Vera, right?" Ace changed the topic as he addressed Vera and she nodded her head yes. "What's your last name if I'm allowed to ask?" Vera cleared her throat while cutting a peace of her steak. "Kuzmin." "What are you talking about? You can tell him" Niveen chuckled before turning to Ace. "Her name is Vera Ivanov." I got light headed at the name. I've read it before, I didn't know where though.

"Ivanov" Ace nodded in understanding. "Like Stanislav Ivanov?" he went on with his questions and that was when it came to me. Stanislav Ivanov. The Russian guy that was at the meeting the day before. His name was on one of the enemies lists that I searched a few weeks ago. He killed several of Ace's workmen and stole money and drugs. Their families have been enemies since decades. So Ace invited him on purpose.

But why did no one realize that Anne or Tesla or Vera - however you would like to call her - was Stanislav Ivanov's daughter? You would think that Archie or at least Ace would've noticed that when she came in as one of our trainees. Two times in a row.

"How do you know each other?" I asked the both of them. "We have a few classes together" Niveen answered. "Interesting" I said as I took a sip from my wine.

"Tell me, Vera, do you like your name?" I asked in a provocative way as I turned to her. "Why are you asking?" she acted innocent. "Oh no reason. I just thought Tesla or Anne would fit you as well" I went on with a wink. "That's funny I told her that before. I think Tesla fitted before she colored her hair brown" Niveen blurted out in amusement. She really had no idea. Otherwise she wouldn't have acted that unknowing.

"She colored her hair?" Ace said and it seemed like he was starting to get it. I totally forgot that Archie and I hadn't told him about Anne yet. We wanted to wait and then the woman kind of pushed Anne to the background with her attack on me.

"Yeah she had platinum blonde hair before. Speaking of hair, did you do something to yours?" Niveen shoved it off as she turned to me. "Oh I- That was a few months ago already" I said as I took a strand of my blonde hair to look at it. "It looks good" Niveen said earning a smile in response.

"Mallory" my father suddenly spoke up from the end of the table. Everyone went silent almost automatically. "What is that attitude of yours today?"

I gulped in fear and Ace put his arm around me with his hand on my shoulder again. "What are you referring to?" Ace asked almost provoking a outburst. "I'm talking to my daughter" my father said in a demanding tone. "Yes but she's my fiancé which makes me responsible for her. And if I don't want you talking to her, you won't" Ace warned. "She's still my daughter" my father snapped at him and I knew the situation was about to escalate.

"Why don't we go for a little walk" I suggested as I turned to Ace. He hesitated but eventually we got up. We put our jackets on and went to the big garden surrounding the mansion.

"Anne is Tesla" Ace stated in disbelief. "I told you something's off with her. Why did you invite Ivanov?" "I tried to trick him into sympathizing with me to get information but it didn't work" Ace answered as we walked through the garden. The sun was setting, leaving the sky in a beautiful pink.

"We need to go back" I said. I didn't want to but we had to. "Please don't provoke a fight with my father." "If he stops assaulting you" Ace shrugged his shoulders. "Ace" I raised my eyebrows to warn him. "I like it when you say my name" he said with a smirk on his face causing me to chuckle and shove him to the side.

As we went back in the mood in the dining room had shifted to a more glum one. "There's a reason we ordered you here today" my mother was the first one to break the silence. "What, is this the moment you have an announcement to make?" I joke but no one laughs along. "How dare-" "Your blood pressure" my mom warned my father.

"Mallory your father is-" "Sick. I'm sick" my father interrupted and the room fell silent again. I blinked at him in shock. "It was the alcohol and the smoking. I have cancer and my lever is failing."

I feel like throwing up. I never had a good relationship with him but he was my father after all.

I could feel Ace grabbing my hand under the table. "How long do you have?" I asked the question I didn't want to know the answer to. "Four months at the most."

I cleared my throat after a few long seconds and nodded in understanding. "Okay. I understand."

"We need to leave now" Ace suddenly spoke up earning a surprised look from everyone, including me. "Uhm okay" my mother confused said as we got up.

On our way to the car I spotted a black car on the other side of the street. And when we drove off I caught it following us. I didn't see who was driving it because it was too far away.

"Turn right at the next corner" I demanded to our chauffeur. He gave me a confused look through the mirror. "Why?" Ace asked. "Just do it" I said causing Ace to nod so the driver turned right. We continued this for 4 corners and the car was still following us.

"What are you looking at?" Ace asked while turning around because I turned to look out the back window the whole time. "This car is following us" I stated, not taking my eyes off it a few feet behind us.

"Turn left" Ace demanded and the car followed suit. He sighed in annoyance. "Drive to the next Starbucks" he said before turning to me.