I shake my head no, "It's decided."

He scrunches his eyebrows. His eyes dulling.

He gets closer to me and raises my chin. I look away because it's hard enough to go against everyone. Even harder to go against my heart.

Marisa and Maddox have it. Everyone in this crew is part of it. Jerry's unpleasant attitude has even made its way into it.

But I will never be whole without Jason. Created together. Born together. Living together. He is my twin and that's another indisputable bond.

Maddox moves my gaze back, "then at least promise you will come back to us. Remember who truly lies in your heart. You decide."

I tear escapes as I hear my mom's last words from him. 

I decided on my faith. I know who rules my heart and that's me. Only I get to choose what to do.

I bite my lip and wipe the tears from my eyes. "I promise. Would you promise me one thing?"

"Anything."

"Protect that loaf of an uncle I have. He's not too bad."

He looks over his shoulder at Jerry's shuffling figure. Jerry is pretending not to look but I've noticed that his gaze is always on me. He has been keeping watch of me this whole time.

He is apprehensive of our crew but he has put up with them for me.

Maddox looks back at me, "If you ask, then they are orders, even if he is quite a character."

I smile hesitantly, "Well, then, I must go now."

He gets closer to me. I see him watch my lips then my eyes. I slightly quiver under such wanting and care. I stay firm. I don't move as he leans down, passes my mouth, and gets to the outer part of my ear.

His breath plays along the outside of it. "Helena, please, come back to me. We will wait for word. Two days and not a minute longer... I will kill everyone who harms you. I will destroy his pack. I will annihilate your mate if he inflicts any more damage. Don't let me become the monster they think I am because I will for you. Come back to me, amica mea."

My breath hitches with each word. He pulls away placing a gentle kiss on my cheek. A sweet juxtaposition from his vicious threat. I had no words for him. Nothing seemed appropriate.

So I get into my tippy toes and place a kiss on his cheek, closer to the underside of his jaw.

It's not a promise to return to him but to return home. With sincerity, I gave him one last look before boarding the car.

The thoughts fade as I stop a few feet from Zain. He looks me over.

I want him to make the first move. Will he confess?

Given that Jerry is still part of the town, he must know I have been in contact with him. It should not be hard to conclude that Jerry would have confessed about my parents.

Zain closes the distance and leads his hands down my arms. The touch is electric. I glimpse into his eyes.

He has bags underneath them. His black hair is disheveled. He must have been running his hands through it.

Our separation has caused him distress. From the outside, I look like I've had a better time.

My hair is combed into two long braids. There is no shadow under my eyes. A yellow, off-the-shoulder, Sunday dress adorns my body. White flats on my feet.

One look at me and you can assume that my life has been good. But, one look into my mind, one would comprehend that I am in shambles without this man.

His fingers make it to my hands. He grips them. I sigh with relief, an involuntary action.