Chapter 5-05

It started off as a normal Thursday like any other. Last class of the day had started a short time ago and your potion was on fire, making it a full crowding experience.

You had seen progress in your Potions but this wasn't saying it. You didn't fail as much, and while that was thanks to hard work and effort, your nature still remained; that of being one helluva distracted witch.

So, when the instructions called for equal parts of Chinese Chomping Cabbage and Porcupine quills, you interpreted it as "same number of cabbage and quills," no measuring required.

Out came your wand to dissipate the toxic cloud, and you double checked yourself to make sure you weren't afflicted with some deadly side effect.

Professor Slughorn nodded, as if he had anticipated the result. Your desk partner had gotten used to stepping a few steps further than usual during Potions, and you yourself just grunted re-reading the instructions.

"(Y/N)," you looked at Alyssa in askance, she then slinked towards the desk's lip. "Use these for the measurements."
Your hand curled around hers, around a small book and a tea spoon as she offered them. "Happy birthday!"

You were about to point out that you had one, but when you looked down, all your utensils had turned into weird disgusting-as-it-got yellow goo that made every hair in your body recoil.

You were sure your expression beamed with appreciation, or maybe uncertainty. Back in London, there was never anything that belonged to you. Whether Mrs. Cole bought something, you always had lived by the rule that anything you received, the other children also got.

"Happy Birthday to me..." This time it had not been your fault! The instructions weren't clear enough! Not that professor Slughorn would accept that excuse.

Fast forward, even if fifteen minutes later than everyone else, you did manage to finish the potion. When the Professor took a little rusty metal rod and dipped it in the garish brewage it came out as good as new, and the potion changed colour from a deep yellow to a slightly brighter orange.

This time, the professor nodded in approval, taking some notes. With the chemical danger gone, Alyssa moved in again.

"Right on time." She perked up as recess started. Sniffing the potion and waving the waft away from between you, her cough nearly mirrored what you were thinking. "This is too acid! You're lucky the professor didn't leave the rod for a few seconds more or it would have come to life!"

"As long as he doesn't notice..." You shrugged. You had done it well enough in your book.

"That is not an attitude you should take moving forward." A voice came from behind. A well known voice. "I advice you proceed more carefully from now on. If you had done that from the beginning you would have avoided causing such a hassle, saved fifteen minutes of your time and maybe even gotten a better score."

"Thanks for the tip." You were not able to hold back some sarcasm from slipping into that reply. While you had come to understand that Tom was only trying to help, you couldn't help feeling a little looked down upon.

Though, by that same principle, whenever he praised you, you felt way more apt than you actually were. A weird relationship, in your mind, but one you cherished nonetheless.

"I'm returning the favor," the reply came in a certain, very Riddle tone. Arrogant. That was a reference to Liquid Luck day when you poked him and Abraxas to ask you for hints after winning.