Chapter 2-04

"I assure you we have already checked her wand."

"Then check it again!"

"Irma, miss (L/N) is not the one responsible for this accident."

"Where is the Headmaster? His opinion may matter greatly on this!"

"Unfortunately Headmaster Dippet is away to handle business with the Ministery at present. (Y/N) was not-"

"That girl is not setting a foot in my library for the rest of the year!"

There was scuffling above you, the sound of wood screeching over wood and no more words were spoken. The heated conversation taking place had come to an end.

You shivered in front of the gargoyle guarding the entrance to the Headmaster's office. The stone creature leered back at you, springing aside when Madam Pince passed you, giving you the most venomous glare you had ever received.

But then came the warm invitation of her previous conversation partner.

"Come in, (Y/N)."

You felt a wobble in your legs as you ascended the marble steps that routed into Headmaster Dippet's office.

Dippet's temporary replacement, who else but your favourite DADA teacher, greeted you with an inviting smile, as always, but the twinkle in his eyes now held a touch of concern, as if he could see the turmoil going on in your head.

"Do take a seat, please."

You obeyed, sitting down in one of the two plush red chairs set before the large, mahogany desk that had an assortment of colourful candies scattered across its surface.

But not even their sweetness could mask what was ahead of you.

Your (E/C) eyes landed on your wand lying innocently next to them, almost mocking you silently about what happened mere hours ago.

Most students, including yourself, knew how kind and wise Dumbledore was. He believed in gently guiding his pupils and had a unique way of speaking that put you right at ease. His approach was rooted in the idea that people were more likely to be open and honest when they weren't feeling judged or under pressure.

"Lovely space, isn't it?" Case in point.

Dumbledore proceeded with a story about one of his past adventures as if it was completely natural for him to start chatting with a student this way. As he did, he looked around the lavishly decorated room and gave you enough time to do so yourself.

The abundance of windows and portraits depicting esteemed Headmasters and Headmistresses created a cozy atmosphere. But for someone like yourself—a student summoned here—it signaled doom.

You were in serious, serious trouble.

A sense of gravity  hung above the room. To his credit, Dumbledore did do a good job at not making it seem that way, generously offering you a Lemon Drop. You accepted it but didn't put it into your mouth just yet, being too nervous to even open it.

Despite his kindness, Dumbledore didn't sugarcoat the situation. "You know why I have called you here today, don't you, dear?"

You nodded.

"And you are aware that if you are found to be the one sneaking into the Restricted Section, expulsion is more than a likely probability?"

Another nod. You felt the weight of the possibility, only increasing when listening of the explanation of how breaking school rules could lead to serious consequences not just for yourself but also for others around you. His words were wise and insightful. Dumbledore wasn't just scolding you-he really cared about your well-being.