~27: Reminisce~

Clan life begins to shift back to normal... or does it?
~
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0ypdkGuQnq83SSSw5JmJzU?si=25d17f8cdc04414a
Let me go, beautiful soul, forever love
~
Kailua wondered if she'd ever regret choosing Neteyam over her legs and gift. Sure, he was reunited with his family, and Lo'ak would be happy, and so would Tsireya because she loved him. Secretly, Kailua knew that was why Tsireya was so desperate for her and Lo'ak to work out. And on a technicality, Tsireya and Neteyam could have worked out. The general rule is siblings cannot date siblings. So, if Ao'nung mated with Kiri, then because Tsireya and Ao'nung were siblings, she could not mate with Lo'ak or Neteyam.

But; Kailua wasn't full siblings with Tsireya. Technically, Kailua wasn't related to Tsireya or Ao'nung at all. She was a direct descendent of Eywa herself. Mates aren't allowed to mate again within 8 weeks of the birth of a new child. Yet, Mama found out she was expecting Kailua within 6 weeks of her brother's birth. So... yeah. It was painfully obvious that they wanted to mate with each other. The looks her little sister shot to the oldest Sully boy were the same Kailua had once shot Lo'ak.

Unsurprisingly, she didn't see the Sully's for a few days. They were holding onto the memories of their loved ones and making new ones. After around a week or so, she'd see one of the family members with Neteyam, just chatting. She would watch from the hut, sat in her chair, as they laughed and walked alongside the sea. Usually, it would be Jake and Neytiri with him. Kailua would often wonder to herself why none of the siblings were around. The answer came to her a few days later. Tuk would swim with him by the reef barrier, with Ao'nung keeping an eye on her, because really (contrary to the impression he gives) he's a sweetheart.

Kiri would relax on the sandy beach, telling him everything she didn't before he died. More often than not, Kailua would still find them there the following morning. But Lo'ak... never seemed to be with him. When she broached her sister with the question, Tsireya hummed. "Maybe he still feels guilty? You didn't see him in that week, sister," Kailua frowned. "But surely he'd be happy, overjoyed even, at a second chance?" Tsireya continued sewing one of her broken chest covers. "He doesn't exactly wear his emotions, does he, sister? Maybe he is happy, but trying to be more on the subtle side of things so as not to overwhelm Neteyam,"

Kailua didn't bring it up again.

~

Around two weeks after Neteyam had come back, clan life had begun to return to a normal-ish pace. The Sullys ventured out as a whole family again, even if it was Jake and Neytiri watching from the sand as Kiri and Tuk played with Neteyam in the sea. Lo'ak had become oddly helpful to her parents, asking what he could do to relieve their workload. Mama would always narrow her eyes with confusion. "Go and spend time with your brother, boy. Take the second chance tightly," She would say and turn her back. When Lo'ak would approach her later in the day, she would sigh and task him with the mundane job of mushing the medicinal stuff into pastes or retrieving the utumauti fruit from the mangrove forest. Dad would make him sharpen arrows and practise his archery skills. When Lo'ak proved better (and more willing) than Ao'nung, Dad would beam and continue teaching him.

It was odd.

One evening in particular had Kailua's head spinning faster than it had before. The clan had gathered to celebrate the sudden revival of Neteyam and the end of the war. Nobody knew it was Kailua who had brought him back, and neither did she want them to. To be honest, as much as she liked the eldest Sully boy, he was just a painful reminder of what she did to bring him back. Not only did she lose the use of her legs and her unborn daughter to try and save him in the first place, but she also relinquished her ability to revive his soul.

She suspected one person knew something wasn't right.

And that was the person she didn't want to talk to.

As much as she missed her relationship with Lo'ak, and by Eywa's grace did she, that was a time long gone. Before war corrupted his mind too much. That's what she told herself. The catalyst of their argument and ultimate undoing was the war messing with his mind. After the celebration had begun to die down, meaning the parents had taken their young children back to the hut and retired for the night, Kailua excused herself. She wheeled to Norm's lab and had him "hook her up" to the walking device. She'd already had her second surgery to restore the use of her legs, and it seemed to be working a little bit. Whilst she couldn't put any weight on them whatsoever, she could faintly feel things.

She snuck around the back and began the treacherous climb to her stargazing spot. It was one of the few places that nobody else knew about, and those who did wanted the same from the area as she did: peace and quiet.

As she crested the hill, she stumbled upon the sight of the Sully brothers. Having nowhere to run or hide, she moved as quietly as she could to a stray tree. She undid the mechanic device from her back and hips, slumping against the tree. She hoped to give the impression she was asleep... and it seemed to work, for the Sully brothers continued talking.

"You have no idea how hard it was in those two weeks, bro," Lo'ak said. Neteyam sighed softly. "I think I do. I saw everything." He wrapped an arm around Lo'ak's shoulders. "I heard about your daughter," He whispered. Kailua bit her lip to stop the heartbroken sob from bursting out. "How're you holding up over it?" Lo'ak sighed deeply. "As well as you'd expect, I guess. I dunno man. I-I guess I feel like I shouldn't be upset, ya know?" Kailua watched with a frown as Neteyam mimicked her facial expression. "No... I don't know. You have every right to be upset, bro. She was your kid, whether you knew about her or not." Lo'ak shrugged. "I didn't lose the baby though... did I?" Neteyam turned to glance out to the sea. "How's she holding up with it? Have you spoken to her?"

Kailua craned to listen more. Lo'ak scoffed. "Yeah, the one time I spoke to her, I sent her into surgery again," Neteyam obviously made a face, for Lo'ak sighed. "Once. And it didn't go very well." I'll say. She thought. Neteyam sighed deeply. "I know you're not on the best of terms with her... but you should be friends at the very least. She sacrificed a lot for us," Lo'ak scoffed. "Yeah? Like what? Her relationship with her precious mommy? Bro, have you forgotten what she did to us? To our trust?" Neteyam shook his head. "If you'd bothered to listen, you'd know it wasn't entirely her fault. Don't get me wrong, she went about it horribly. But it was done with good intentions."

Lo'ak was silent for a moment. "And that wasn't what I meant," Neteyam added quietly. Kailua frowned softly. "And what did you mean, oh brother of mine?" Lo'ak said sarcastically. "I mean... she ran in to help us save Spider, despite having no clue who he was, she risked her life to get us all out alive, got shot for us, ended up paralysed trying to save us, and brought me back,"

Kailua blinked.
How did he know that? How did Neteyam know that?

Lo'ak snorted. "What, like a wizard?" Neteyam slapped his leg. "I'm serious. The great mother came to me. She said Kailua was presented with a choice, and one of them was to bring me back. She had to exchange her powers for it though. Maybe that's why she's not gone swimming since then..." She knew the jig was up when she shifted slightly and crushed a twig. Lo'ak suddenly spun around, frowning deeply. "Kailua," He said.

"Lo'ak," She answered softly, looking at the ground.