~26: Choices~

Kailua's decision is made, and it stirs all worlds.
*mega long bc it needed to be*
*also I hated myself today*
~
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0ypdkGuQnq83SSSw5JmJzU?si=d3c10e2c7f644cd9
Do it better, crazy kids, nothing is lost
~
"Why do I have to choose?" Kailua asked. "I've already made my choice, but why do I have to pick anyway? Neteyam is dead, for one. His soul has already rested... and what kind of person wouldn't fight for their legs back?" She looked up at Eywa. The great mother sighed softly. "It is a tough choice, child. One even I would struggle with. However; at the same time," She paused and waved her hand palm down in front. A ripple changed the scene. "I would know what to pick. Much like you." Eywa turned. Kailua rubbed her eye with a deep sigh. "Who do I tell? About my choice?" She asked. Eywa held a single finger up. "Before you choose; I must show you a few things first. To make sure your decision is balanced and fair. One you will be happy with until you pass on, as this is a lifelong choice, child." Kailua nodded. "You can show me, but my decision probably won't change,"

She glanced down at her numb legs as Eywa showed her an image. "It is a memory. Several memories. Of the Sully's." Kailua frowned. "Yes, if you choose to leave the Sully boy, you will walk again. You will see a new level of happiness you haven't seen before; you will appreciate the gift you had. The clan will appreciate you more," Eywa began walking slowly. "You will be a valued member of the clan, further than Olo'eyktan's daughter. You will be a teacher, a mentor, a person they confide in, and you know what they mean." Kailua stayed quiet. "However; I am required to show you some memories of the Sully family." Kailua rolled her eyes. "I know how much they loved him, I don't need to relive it,"

Eywa held up her hand. "It isn't an option, child. Shush and watch,"

~.~.~.~.~

One morning, Neteyam was outside the hut watching the sunrise. As he sat there, he heard unsteady footsteps. When he turned, his baby bro was toddling towards him, arms outstretched as he wobbled. "Hey! There you go! Come on baby bro! Come on!" He cheered quietly. Lo'ak babbled happily as he stumbled the final few steps. Neteyam hugged him tightly, leading him back to the hut. "Sa'nu! Sempu! Lo'ak can walk!" He shouted. His mom and dad shot awake, gasping for breath. "Nete," His dad moaned, collapsing back onto the bedroll. His mom slapped his chest. "He can walk! He walked to me!" He gently pushed his baby bro in front. "Go on! Walk to sa'nu," He smiled. Lo'ak glanced back with a quiver in his lip. "It's ok! I'm behind you!" Neteyam smiled.

~.~.~.~.~

"Hey, you ok?" Lo'ak hastily wiped his eyes. "Fine. I'm fine," Neteyam grunted softly as he took a seat. "You ran off pretty quickly earlier. What happened?" Lo'ak refused to meet his eyes. Neteyam hummed quietly. He began to play with Lo'ak's braid-free hair. "This looks awful short and braid-free. Decided you wanted a new look?" Lo'ak exhaled shakily. He could feel Neteyam's eyes narrowing. "They also caught your ear. It's bleeding," Lo'ak turned, shocked. "How did you know they cut it?" Upon Neteyam's furious rage in his eyes, Lo'ak knew he didn't know. "I didn't," He confirmed. "But I do now." He ran his hands through Lo'ak's hair. "Who did it? Who cut off your hair?" Lo'ak was silent for a second before he mumbled: "Ngato, Xilown and Olan'ity" Lo'ak prepped himself for Neteyam storming off in favour of battering the three bullies, but instead pulled out his wooden comb. "Sit still, this might hurt a bit," They sat there until long after the eclipse, Neteyam brushing out every single mat and knot caused by the butchering. He re-braided every single strand, looping it all together with an old armband that no longer fit.

~.~.~.~.~

"Skxawng, stay fricking still!" Neteyam hissed, pulling a braid. "Ow! Jesus, fine," Lo'ak glared, despite Neteyam not seeing it. He tugged anyway. Lo'ak whipped around, hissing. "I saw the glare," Neteyam slapped his bare shoulder with the wooden comb. Lo'ak narrowed his eyes. "Just get on with it," He grumbled, turning back.