~4: At great risk~

Kailua is in trouble with her mom over the Sully children seeing her vision, so she hatches a plan to remove the memory, unaware of the complications that follow

~

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0ypdkGuQnq83SSSw5JmJzU?si=e43a6886865b4b95

Once in a while, I knew you were trouble & Let the sun-shine
~

Kailua winced, covering her already sensitive ears from her mother's screaming fit. "You let them see you!? Kailua! You know the RISK!!" She bowed her head. "Daughter, look at me," She squeezed her eyes for a brief second before lifting her head. "Did you truly try and hide yourself?" Her dad asked softly. Kailua nodded gently. "I-I went far enough out where I thought I couldn't be seen; I'm usually not. And the vision just hit me out of nowhere. I had no time to prepare or move myself,"

Her mother scoffed as she paced. "I truly had no idea they would be swimming. Everybody else, including Nung and Reya, was having their evening meal." She bowed her head again. Her father was silent for a few moments. "You need to erase the memory from them,"

Kailua gaped. "Mama, I cannot! That requires great power, and I have to master it!" Ronal shrugged. "I see no other option. This would not have happened if you had been careful!"

"Ronal, enough."

Kailua looked at the ground again. "You must try, daughter. Just try. If you are unsuccessful, we will rethink our methods," She nodded at the ground. "Go. I believe you have to teach them breath control this afternoon," Kailua nodded again, sniffling slightly. "I will try, sempu."

She walked slowly to the Sully family, her mind racing at a million miles a minute. The only way she'd be even slightly successful would be for her to render them unconscious with pure yarnibar fruit, and that was near impossible to find. Yarnibar itself was quite common, but the outer shell was often discarded back to the ocean, or in the mangrove forest. She could climb to the top of the trees to reach it, but her climbing skills left a lot to be desired.

Even if she was lucky enough to grab the outer shell, she'd have to break into the shell without breaking the skin on the inside. THEN, she'd have to somehow get it into their systems; and by Eywa it was horrid tasting. Most na'vi she'd tried it on had spat it out or vomited it back up too quickly for it to work. If, by some insane miracle she was lucky enough for it to knock them out, she'd have to hope their mind was easy to access, otherwise, it'd all be for nought.

She was so caught up in her thought, she didn't even realise how close she was to the edge of the walkway. With a squeak of surprise, she toppled into the water with a loud splash. Her mind went blank, all thoughts pushed to the side momentarily.

She sank to the bottom, taking a calming breath. Maybe Reya knew of some methods to knock somebody out. Kailua knew Nung's method would be to quite literally knock them out; probably with a rock to the skull.

As she twisted in the water, it helping to soften and fluidly twist her body, she caught sight of her sister and the Sully family swimming by the corral reef. She shook her head, throwing the thoughts onto the seabed for a moment and swam over. She waved at the Sully brothers, tapping her sister on the ankle.

Oh! Hello sister! I was explaining the way of water to them. How to hold your breath in your stomach instead of your chest. Tsireya signed. She grinned. Not that you know about that, of course. Kailua rolled her eyes with a nod to the surface. They rose, with Kailua faking an exhale of breath. Tsireya giggled. "You need to teach us your finger talk. We caught a little, but not enough to make a coherent sentence," Neteyam complained, sending a wary look in Kailua's direction.

"It is ok; it will take a little time to stick. Sometimes, we mess up the gestures." Kailua reassured, ignoring his piercing gaze. "Yeah," Tsireya grinned. "Like this one last week. Instead of asking about our evening meal, she asked where the dragons sing," She laughed. Kailua fake laughed alongside. "Haha. At least I can hunt for our evening meal. The only thing you hunt is a cold,"

Tsireya shoved her head under the waves.

~

Later, when they sat on the rocks teaching Kiri, Lo'ak and Neteyam about breath control, Kailua couldn't help but let her mind wander. Lo'ak would probably be easier than Neteyam; whilst he seemed more guarded, he wore his emotions on his face. Perhaps his cocky persona was just a facade... and his mind was open to many things, including Kailua's removal of the vision. Neteyam, he was tougher. It looked like he was more open to the face but more guarded of his mind.

There was no way she'd be able to do both at the same time; the effort would kill her. No, she'd have to do the hardest first; Neteyam. And just hope in her recovery, Lo'ak didn't jog his memory into restoring. Kailua couldn't outright remove a memory; she could only lock it away, or make it so irrelevant, it disappeared on its own. It took her a while to realise she was staring at the brothers, and even then, it had been Rotxo to subtly shove her shoulder.

Thankfully, they'd been too enamoured with Tsireya's teaching to worry about Kailua's gaze on them. She bit her lip, hoping the pain would pull her mind back into the present. "-show you," Kailua narrowed her eyes at her younger sister. "Show who what?" Tsireya huffed. "I knew you weren't listening! I said you'd show them the deep reefs before lunch," Kailua rolled her eyes with a sigh. "You know I don't mind about that, but you'll have to tell Mama then. And is their breath-holding good enough yet?"

DING.

An idea.

If they passed out willingly from lack of oxygen, she'd access their minds easily! And it's pain-free... mostly. She'd just have to get them deep enough for them to fail in getting up before their oxygen ran out.

If only she'd realised the problems that would lead from this before she'd done it; then maybe she wouldn't be stood in front of an angry Neytiri and Jake Sully outside her hut.