sorry

the 15th of december approached painfully slowly. sam had spent her days since the breakup - that wasn't really a breakup - mostly in bed, only dragging herself out when she needed to train. even then, she'd show up hours late - much to the annoyance of emma hayes. she'd been scheduled in with eleanor 3 times this week, she hadn't shown up once. emma, of course, noticed the change in the aussie's attitude, along with the sadness in her own daughter. little did sam know, eleanor felt exactly the same as her. they were both in the same position. they wanted eachother, but they both knew they couldn't have eachother.

eleanor felt an additional pang of guilt for the way she was with sam. she hadn't meant a word of it, but she felt she had no choice. sam wouldn't have given up on her that easily. eleanor just wished she hadn't had to give up on sam. their relationship was only just beginning and it had to end already.

she'd been picked to be one of the two travelling physios to the away game against vllaznia in albania. as much as she might've wanted to go before, she definitely didn't now.

the squad and staff were finally boarding the plane after a two hour delay in the airport. eleanor looked at her ticket. she was in row d, seat 20 - which she hoped was a window seat. when she finally boarded she squeezed through the aisle towards her seat. when she got there she found out that she did in fact have the window seat. the seat next to her was still empty for now. she hoped she'd be sat with the other physio, daniel hardman, half expecting him to appear and sit next to her. he didn't. but who did?

sam kerr.

sam stood in the aisle, blinking at eleanor. she turned around immediately to millie bright who was behind her waiting to get past and find her own seat. "millie" she pleaded, very much audibly to eleanor. "swap seats? please?" eleanor frowned.

"what?" the taller girl asked, surprised. "why do you need to swap seats?" she peered over sam to see eleanor sat next to the window. "why don't you want to sit with eleanor i thought you got along?" she questioned, an eyebrow raised in confusion.

"please, mill"

before she could reply, there was a shout from the front of the plane. it was emma. "what's the hold up?" she questioned, "hurry up and sit down for godsakes!"

sam huffed, shoulders dropping in defeat and sliding into the seat next to eleanor. the aussie was not happy. eleanor, however, was. as soon as sam sat down eleanor could smell the perfume she'd been craving for weeks. sam always smelled good.

she looked towards the aussie, opening her mouth to say something, but sam just put her headphones on and closed her eyes.

--------

eleanor pulled herself away from her book to check the time on her phone. it'd been two painfully long hours, meaning there was just one to go. sam hadn't said a single word since sitting down. even when eleanor offered her some of her sweets, she simply shook her head without even looking in eleanor's direction.

she looked over to the aussie to see what she was doing, and she looked like she was fast asleep. eleanor studied her for a moment. she was so pretty. she looked even more beautiful when she was asleep, somehow. eleanor wanted nothing more than to wrap her arms around her and to plant kisses all over her face.

but she couldn't.

eleanor grew sleepier as the minutes passed. eventually, her eyes began to close and her head unconsciously fell onto sam's shoulder.

what eleanor didn't know was that sam wasn't asleep. she was wide awake. she just knew that if she opened her eyes and saw eleanor sat next to her she wouldn't be able to control herself. her eyes shot open though when she felt eleanor's head hit her shoulder.

"eleanor?" she whispered softly, checking the girl was asleep. a light snore from the other girl confirmed her suspicions. she sighed before placing a light as a feather kiss to the top of eleanor's head. just enough to fulfil her craving, but not enough for eleanor to know it happened.

the plane landed after what felt like the longest three hours ever. eleanor was still fast asleep on sam's shoulder. she didn't want to wake her - she'd wanted this closeness for weeks and she knew it'd probably be the last time it happened - but she had no choice as everyone began making their way off the plane. sam shook her lightly. eleanor's eyes fluttered open, a slight groan escaping her lips. when she realised where she'd been laying, her eyes shot open and she practically flew off of her.

"sorry" eleanor spoke cautiously, not knowing where she stood with the girl.

"for what? falling asleep on my shoulder?" sam began as she stood up, "or for breaking my heart?" she finished, giving eleanor one last look before disappearing down the aisle and eventually off the plane, leaving her wincing.