those are weeds

"so, you know my favourite flower now," i began as me and sam made the short walk to the cinema from cobham. i hadn't gotten off as late as i thought i would so our plan to go and see a movie remained the same. "what's yours samantha?"

"hm" she pondered for a second. "i've always liked the flowers that grow in the cracks of sidewalks."

"those are weeds" i replied, mentally facepalming.

"oh" is all she said. i giggled, getting a smile out of her. "you're cute"

i grinned. "not too bad yourself"

the rest of the walk was silent, not an awkward silence though, a rather comfortable one. we walked at a slight distance from each other, not wanting to be papped looking too close or something. it was my idea, sam wasn't too fond of it. beth asking me about apparent rumours of me and sam had really put me on edge. my mother couldn't find out, it wouldn't end well at all. so i knew i'd have to go to extreme lengths to cover this up, not that there was anything to cover up - yet.

we entered the cinema and she held the door open for me. "ladies first" she remarked with a smile.

"you're a lady too, sam" i replied, walking through first nevertheless. sam went straight ahead to buy us tickets to some random comedy film she'd picked out.

i didn't realise i'd been staring off into space until sam got back to me. "what's on your mind?" she questioned. "hope it's me" she added with a grin.

"you'd like that wouldn't you, kerr" i scoffed.

"course i would, who doesn't want a pretty girl thinking about them? seriously though, you okay?"

"yeah don't worry"

we made our way into screen 5, it was practically empty. we took our seats and the film began. i wasn't a major fan of it, but the whole thing was worth it to hear the soft laughs that came from the tanned girl next to me every now and then.

at some point during the film, when i was sat with my arm on the armrest, sam slipped her hand on top of mine, placing her fingers in the gaps of my own. i turned my hand slowly, not wanting her to think i was trying to move away. when i'd succeeded, our fingers interlocked. she squeezed my hand tightly with every fit of laughter she had.

--------

after it had ended, sam offered to walk me home. of course i said yes - who in their right mind wouldn't want sam kerr to walk them home?

"thank you for tonight" i said softly when we reached my building. sam beamed at me. she had a look in her eye that i didn't quite recognise. she stared at me like i was the only thing in the world, the only thing that mattered. i could've melted under her gaze if she would've carried on, but she didn't. instead, she took a step closer to me, placed a finger under my chin and brought our lips together. it took me a moment to register what was happening. sam kerr was kissing me. sober. i let myself slowly melt into it, closing my eyes and kissing her back. i threw my arms around her neck, pulling her even closer to me - if that was possible. she pulled away after a few minutes, resting her forehead against mine. she smiled, our faces flushed and both of us breathless.

"you're welcome" she said with a grin before turning around and walking the opposite way, leaving me with a lingering taste of her lips.

--------

i got up to the flat to see that my sister had returned. i opened the front door and there she was on her usual seat on the couch, binge watching pretty little liars. "hey" i greeted.

"where've you been? why do you look so happy?" she questioned, skeptically.

"whats with the 21 questions, i've just walked through the door" i replied, snarkily.

"hope you weren't with sam" she warned.

"why would i be?" i snapped, defensively. "me and sam are just friends, and for your information, i'm seeing someone" i said without even thinking. shit.

"what?" she lit up, pausing the tv to turn and face me. "who?"

"i'm not telling you. it's early days, she isn't ready to tell anyone yet, i'm respecting her wishes" i lied through my teeth.

"right," she said "okay then. anyway, come here i need to talk to you"

i raised an eyebrow. sarah never wanted to talk about anything serious. i made my way over to the couch and took a seat next to her. she sat up straight, putting her hand in mine and taking a deep breath. "what is it, sare?" i questioned, starting to get worried.

"i've been offered a new job" she began, "it's almost double my current wage"

"congratulations!" i exclaimed, my smile faltering when i realised she wasn't smiling back. "wait, that's good isn't it? what's wrong?"

"it's in dubai"

--------

a/n

hey guys, short chapter to keep you going lol

will be doing lots of writing today, woke up full of ideas somehow so there should be some new chapters out in the next few days

prepare for drama - this is wattpad, it's all about the calm before the storm xxxx