prologue.

could this day go by any slower?

i sighed, slowly dragging my hand luggage through the awfully crowded LAX  - hell on earth. i would've thought that being busy would make the day go faster, but every single minute feels like an hour and i was desperate to get home.

i mean, i could hardly complain. i'd just spent my last two weeks in los angeles partying all night, coming back to the hotel at 3am to sleep just to then wake up and do it all over again. it was fun but definitely not worth the bad hangover at the end of it.

pulling myself out of the seat i had resided in for the past couple of hours, i shuffled over to the bathroom and to my greatest pleasure it was empty except for one locked cubicle. i splashed cold water on my face, desperate for something refreshing and as soon as the cold hit my face an instant sigh of relief escaped my dry, cracked lips. the mirror in front of me showed my eyes, no longer the glamour girl of last night, a glossy pink succeeds the white. my cracking headache intensified when the lock on the cubicle clicked open, footsteps becoming increasingly louder. i groaned loudly.

"you alright?" a soft austrailian accent emerged from the silence, before the sound of a running tap burned my ears.

grimacing, i looked up into the mirror to the girl that had appeared next to me. woah. she was olive skinned, with dark hair pulled back tightly into a low ponytail. there was a warmth her brown hair brought to her features, a simple frame for that flashy white smile she gave me and deep brown eyes, beautifully married with lighter hues, that were focused on me through the mirror.

"i, uh, sorry? me?"

"well, it's only me and you in here unless you can see some ghosts or something" she replied, letting out a breathy chuckle.

"i'm okay" she nodded, "well i mean i have the worst hangover the world has ever seen but i mean apart from that i'm good, thank you for asking"

"don't worry about it" the girl replied, pulling paper towels out of the dispenser to dry her hands. "where are you headed?"

"london"

"me too" she said softly, moving towards the exit but stopping just in front of me to check herself out in the mirror. it gave me the perfect chance to observe her outfit. a black north face puffer covered a dark grey graphic t-shirt with green letters on, spelling a word i couldn't quite make out. her ripped, skinny blue jeans highlighted her strong calves. i couldn't help but think she looked awfully familiar.

just as she began to walk out i stopped her. "hey", she stopped, turning to look at me with a quizzing look on her face. "have we met before?"

the stranger just smiled at me, shaking her head lightly. "i don't think so?"

"oh, okay, sorry" i replied, and with that she was gone.

weird.

----

two hours later and i was still waiting for this stupid flight. just as i began to drift off to sleep...

"attention all passengers, American Airlines flight 138 to Heathrow, London has been delayed due to unforeseen circumstances. boarding will now begin at 7pm instead of the original time of 5pm. we apologise for any inconvenience caused."

better get comfortable then, i guess.

"man i'm so sick of this shit"

the sound of the same austrailian accent from earlier made my head perk up. there she was. the same girl i met in the bathroom was sitting sideways on the seats across from me, her white airforces now discarded on the floor whilst her feet rested on the seat beside her. she must've felt my burning gaze into the side of her head, because in a split second her eyes met mine. she looked at me deeply this time, not like she did earlier. it was like she was studying me, or trying to figure something out. a small smile creeped onto her face and i felt my cheeks burn a deep red.

her attention was swiftly taken away when a young girl approached her, saying something to her that i couldn't quite make out. the next thing i saw was the younger girl pulling out her phone and taking a photo with her. what?

as soon as she left, a taller, older girl approached her. she had dark hair with blonde ends, tied up neatly into a high ponytail. she nudged the girl who began putting her airforces back on. the two girls got up to leave, but not before she looked at me with a grin.

that was the last time i saw her in los angeles airport.