exes and ohs

the warm smell of pure coffee beans was comforting to eleanor. and right now, she needed comfort more than anything.

morning before the game, yana and eleanor had gone to morrell's for a quick catch up, which included eleanor informing her she had to be a physio for today's match.

"arsenal? isn't that leah's team?" yana questioned, a concerned look on her face.

eleanor just nodded in response. "i mean, it's gonna happen sooner or later, we live in the same city again now, i'm bound to bump into her at some point. i think i'm ready"

yana visibly gulped, no longer holding eye contact with ella but instead looking behind her. "damn el, i hope you're ready right now"

she furrowed her eyebrows, "what?"

but before yana had a chance to answer, eleanor felt a tap on her shoulder. she turned to be met by leah herself along with a few others from the arsenal squad not far behind her.

"eleanor?" leah said in surprise. "when did you get back? why didn't you call me?"

eleanor just stared at the girl with a blank expression, attempting to take in what had just happened. her first love was stood right in front of her again after three years.

"i, uh, sorry i haven't had a chance, how are you? you look good"

after realising what she'd said, eleanor's eyes went wide. "sorry i don't know why i said that"

leah just laughed it off, "don't worry about it, i'll take the compliment"

the pair looked at eachother for a little two long before yana did a dramatic cough to pull them both out of it. leah smiled, checking her watch.

"i'm gonna have to shoot, got a game today"

eleanor smirked. "i know, i'm gonna be there"

leah raised an eyebrow. "what?"

"i joined chelsea's physio team" eleanor stated with a small smile. the corners of leah's lips slowly turned upwards.

"really? congratulations!"

without thinking, the defender pulled eleanor into a tight hug. taken aback, eleanor slowly wrapped her arms around the girl, the intoxicating smell of sweet vanilla suffocating her just as it had years before.

leah pulled away. "see you later, hayes"

the girl watched her walk away before yana coughed once more.

"excuse me? i'm still here babe?"

eleanor's head snapped to her. "huh, what?"

"what was that!" yana exclaimed, nudging her. "what about sam!"

eleanor shot her a puzzled look. "sam? what are you talking about? i've talked to the girl two times i don't even know her"

yana simply rolled her eyes in a huff. "i like sam better"

————

eleanor arrived at kingsmeadow exactly at 11am, just as instructed. she'd spent the past few hours talking to the rest of the backroom staff, getting some last minute tips for the game.

it was about 10 minutes until kick off now, the time of player arrivals. ella was sat in the changing room with the chelsea girls, her eyes tied to one in particular. sam kerr was directly across from her, walking around chatting with people in nothing but chelsea shorts and a nike sports bra, showcasing her abs to the rest of the team. when she spotted eleanor, her lips turned upwards into a small smile and she made her way over to her.