“Father,” I greet, trying to keep my voice steady.

               “You know the rules, Haden,” he murmurs coldly, nodding slightly to James.

               “Father! If you order him to attack me, then so be it. But I will fight back. I will have my audience,” I caution.

               “And I would expect nothing less,” he answers calmly, walking back towards the palace.

               “Father! Please! It’s been five years! Hasn’t it been long enough? I’m your heir after all!” I call after him. My father has always been a strong person. That’s the way he raised me, cold and aloof. I’ve been treated like nothing more than a pupil for my entire life. But living with Jess...falling in love...I’m beginning to wonder whether my father honestly loves me.

               “Haden, you are no heir of mine. I won’t have a rogue reaper take my mantle,” he spits coldly!

               “I didn’t go rogue, father! Please, let me explain!” I try once again.

Out of the corner of my eye, I notice my mother standing at the doorway, her face is tear-streaked, her hands outstretched towards me.

               “Mum! Please,” I plead, deciding to try another approach.

               “You will not speak to her in such an informal manner!” my father explodes, whirling around to face me. He’s livid and terrifying. I shrink back in spite of myself and it takes enormous effort to stand my ground.

               “I’m not afraid of you anymore,” I murmur as calmly as I can. “I didn’t follow your orders, and I truly do apologise. But I had my reasons, father! You always told me to stand up for what I believed in. I did! And you punished me for it. I accepted your punishment without any whining. But it has been five years, can we please have a civilised conversation about my exile?”

               “My son, what makes you think I care anymore?” he asks simply, catching me off-guard.

               “But I’m your only son! Of course you care. You have to! I’m your heir! Your protégé!” I murmur weakly.

               “My lord, grant him an audience, please?” Alex pleads, taking a step forward.

               “Silence!” my father instructs and Alex flinches back almost as if he’s been hit.

               “Wait!” the soft voice behind me has my heart plummeting. Of course it’s Jessy’s voice. I close my eyes in despair for a few moments before I turn around to see Jessica and Matt standing about three feet behind me.

               “You brought her? Here?!” my father demands, outraged.

               “I didn’t...I had no idea-” I stammer.

               “Silence,” he hisses. “On your knees.”

I take a deep breath and kneel down, awaiting my father’s approach.

***

(Jessica’s POV)

Haden’s father is startlingly good looking, but the air around him scares me. He’s frightening though nothing about him is frightening. His aura frightens me. His black hair, so much like Haden’s, is combed neatly and grey streaked. He’s tall, easily a few inches taller than Haden and much wider. He’s compelling yet at the same time authoritative.

               “On your knees,” he barks at Haden.

And I’m forced to stand still and watch as Haden gets down on his knees, obeying his father’s command.

               “Get up,” I whisper quietly.

Matt nudges me, his arms still locked around my shoulders to prevent me from moving.

Haden’s father grabs a fistful of Haden’s black hair and pulls it back, making Haden look up at him. Yet, there’s no anger in Haden’s eyes, he merely looks afraid.

               “Haden,” I whisper again. I notice him stiffen a little, and realise he heard me. “Get up, please. Don’t let him do this to you!”

Haden’s father’s cold grey eyes bore into my own, making me shudder slightly. He assesses me evenly, still grabbing onto Haden’s hair.

               “Please! Let him go!” I beg.

Haden’s father smirks a little and spits near Haden. “I was going to let you in, my boy. But how can I now that you brought your whore with you,” he smirks.

               “Father, she...she isn’t a whore! She’s the love of my life. Had I let her die that day, I would have died too! I’ve been trying to tell you... but you’ve never given me the chance to explain,” Haden murmurs bitterly.

               “Silas, he’s your son,” a beautiful lady whispers, stepping out of what must be the palace Haden grew up in.

               “Father! I know the rules. You taught them to me. Love...it’s supposed to be excused. I should be excused because I love her. I swear it!” Haden murmurs, slightly more confident.

His father releases his grip on his hair and takes a few steps towards the door of the palace, seeming to be deliberating something.

               “She’s pregnant. With my child,” Haden adds quickly.

And this seems to have the effect he was hoping for. His father pales visibly, yet I see the traces of a smile beginning to form on his face. Haden’s mother, or at least the lady who looks like him, looks at me speculatively, a warm smile on her face.

               “This ends now, Silas,” she calls strongly. “Haden, welcome home, my love,” she murmurs softly, throwing the double doors open.