53. Roller Coaster Rush

Let's go to the state fair on Saturday!

Alex's childlike enthusiasm causes a fluttering around my heart like white petals swept up in a wind whirlpool.

Omg how fun! Yes!

He sends me the emoji face covered in kissy hearts.

Every one of our dates this summer is imprinted in my memory with a seal of sweetness, vulnerability and pure fun. In between our schedules, we have been to the movies, spent a day floating the American River on blow-up boats, shared ice cream and spent many an hour joking around on text. Alex loves to make borderline suggestive comments mixed with a constant barrage of humor and random, out-of-context memes or gifs; he makes me laugh more than anyone I've ever spent time with. I'm beyond excited for a full evening of rides, games and food with my boyfriend this weekend. I still cannot believe this word is now in my vernacular.

On Saturday morning, I tag along downtown with both my parents to a volunteer event that Mom organized with the equity committee. It's an outreach program for the Spanish-speaking community promoting free local preschool programs, as well as providing families information about accessing basic health services. I'm stretched to utilize my Spanish for several hours, and I have fun interacting with all the adorable little kids. Halfway through, I find myself wishing we had invited Alex. Something tells me his youthful spirit would be a magnet for children.

I guess Mom has the same idea, because just as I'm daydreaming about kids hanging off Alex's limbs while he employs his dry humor to feign annoyance, she says: "You should have dragged along your cutie patootie."

"My cutie patootie?" I reply, snorting.

"Yes. He's a cutie."

"He is, isn't he?" I giggle as Mom winks at me. Alex dropped by the house recently in between work and school to get to know my parents more, and they liked him quite a bit.

"We're going to the fair this afternoon—I told you, right?"

"Sí, m'hija. Be careful driving home. He doesn't drink while you're out, does he?"

I roll my eyes the tiniest bit at the overprotective mother question.

"No, Mom. I've literally never seen him drink." I wonder if he just doesn't drink around me because I'm underage. As much as I enjoyed the alcohol high I experienced so many times this past school year, I honestly haven't missed drinking in the least. It's a relief to confirm that I haven't developed any type of dependency or addictive tendencies. Maybe Alex doesn't drink because of his father and brother. Alcoholism is genetic, and in this moment, a vibration of anxiety zings through my nervous system.

A few hours later, freshly showered and changed into my favorite shorts and t-shirt, I hop into Alex's Jetta as he very indiscreetly admires my legs.

"You're so tan. Where did you go today?"

I tell him about the community volunteer event, being sure to mention the pet name Mom called him. He laughs, clearly pleased.

"Your parents are the best," he mumbles, almost shyly.

The afternoon sun is still blaring down when we arrive at the fairgrounds, and I immediately retrieve my bottle of coconut-scented sunscreen from the mini-backpack I brought in lieu of a purse. Alex shoots me a look I know so well—he's laughing at me.

"You and your sunscreen." His skin is a shade fairer than mine, but he doesn't ever seem concerned about getting sunburned when we participate in outdoor activities.

"Sunscreen is common sense!" I declare, shoving the bottle into his hand.

Rolling his eyes, he applies some to his nose and cheeks in haphazard fashion, which results in a spattering of white patches all over his face.