Episode 0-5: Oh, So That's How it Is

"When you said to get us close, I didn't think you'd force us to go high!"

The aircraft's ramp opened. The high altitude and the wind and the sounds of the engines blew in my face.

"Don't worry about me. Worry about how you're gonna pick us up."

"Of course I'd worry about you! I'm not gonna allow this if you're just going to be a splat on the ground!"

"Buddy, listen." I hefted the parachute and stood from my seat. "I'm not going to do this stunt if I was a wee bit of a pussy. And either way, you already allowed this the second you sent us this high up in the sky."

"Goddamnit you're starting to sound just like her."

"Just like who?"

"Happy hunting pal!"

Right.

I faced the open ramp in front of me. I looked at the sky and what was below me. Yeah, that's high. Wasn't scaring my ass though.

I would've been the last one to jump if there were other people with me. But since this is a solo rescue mission...

I did a somersault and dive bombed straight into the fray.

---

13:19:23

Six

Rhodes Island

The Ark

---

I put down my Pip-Boy, resting my wrist. I sat on my seat, waiting. Damn. How long is she going to take?

For minutes, I was in her office. Hamboning, whistling. Was about to tune to my radio too.

I was about to touch her trinkets on her desk until I felt a presence behind me. The sliding door opened, I turned to see Kal'tsit entering. Thank god.

"What took you so long?" I voiced my thought.

"I was telling off the Doctor to not send a rescue squad for the mission." She marched to her side of the desk. "Instead, I told him to send a rescue squad for another mission."

"Didn't you just negate what you said?"

"No. I told him to not send a squad for your mission." Dr. Kal'tsit replied.

"Oh okay. Wait, my mission?" I repeated what she said. That just clicked in my mind. My mission?

"Did I stutter?"

"No, not at all. Ma'am." Good God, force of habit.

She rolled her eyes at me. The doctor then spun her laptop that she brought with her to face me.

"Your mission: Is to rescue Recon Squad 0-3. Who are located at the very south of this coast."

She showed me a world map of Terra. At the very south of Ursus, nearing the border of Chernobog, lies the blip of my destination.

"Recon Squad was not only securing and scouting the area, they were also security to Karlan's trade envoy. 8 hours after their arrival at this location, they were attacked by a Rusthammer invasion force during the diplomat's conference. Right now, they are holding out against the attacking enemy. The Rusthammers haven't broken their line of defense yet, but we are learning that a larger enemy force could arrive soon."

"Rusthammers? That violent raider gang spread across the wastelands?" I've heard of them a couple of times. Unfortunately, never had the opportunity to have a meet and greet with them personally.