Changes

I swear on the way to Cassie's house my heart breaks. Breathing becomes harder and my legs get weak, and I stop and sit on the side of the road and stare into the darkness. After a few minutes, I get up and walk the rest of the way to his house.

My fist heavy, I lift it and knock on the door, I hear sniffling and banging, and then the door opens. Cassie's standing in sweats in an oversized hoodie, with her hair in a knot on her head and mascara running down her face.

"Cassie" Is all I can think of as I stare at the hot mess that is my best friend. "Cassie I'm so sorry" my voice croaks and breaks as tears stream down my eyes.

"Oh honey, don't cry, please don't cry," she says, hugging me "if you cry I'll cry, and I don't think I have enough tears"

We stay like that for a moment- our arms around each other. When she pulls away, her eyes are glossy, and shirt has black stains from my mascara. Cassie shuts the door and sniffles, eyes on the ground.

"Cas, if I would have known, I promise I would have gone, I just thought we were going out" I say, twisting on my feet.
"I know, I should have said it was a big thing. But you spend so much time with Spencer. I know he's your boyfriend, but we're your friends, we're your family. And we haven't hung out in forever. You dropped out of school-" I graduated early"- and your always with him whenever we ask to hangout" she says, not glancing at me.

I sigh. She's right. Me and Spencer have been stuck together like glue. "I know, I'm sorry Cas, I'll do better I promise"

She nods and looks at her watch "Um, my mom is gonna be here soon, maybe you should go"

I nod, and squeeze her arm as I walk through the door and outside.

The walk home takes twice as long as it should have. My mind is racing. How could I ditch my friends for a guy? A guy that I've only known for, what, a couple months? And I chose to completely ignore my friends for him. When my friends were going through so much shit, and I picked him.

When I get home, instead of going through the front door, I climb the tree in the backyard to get to my window. Being super drained, I just kicked off my shoes and fell into bed.

~~~

When I get to the office the next day, Hotch informs us we have reports to fill out concerning our last case. Earning a grown from all of us. I sit at my desk with the folder in front of me.

"Hey darling" Spencer shows up behind me and pecks my forehead "How'd everything go at home?" I shrug, my knee bouncing. "It was fine" I mumble. "Why wont you look at me?" He says. "I'm focused" He puts to fingers under my chin and moves my head to look at him. "Tell me what's wrong". My eyes fill with tears "Spence, I think you need to give me some space". I watch as his already pale face turns white, which makes my heart break.

He doesn't say anything, instead, he grabs my arm, and leads me to the round table room, he shuts the door and looks at me "Scarlett, w-why?" He takes my hands in his and looks at me with pleading eyes. "Spencer, I'm not asking to break up, or even to take a break, I just think I need to spend more time with Cassie and Eric and Holly. They have a lot of stuff going on, and they really needed me, but I was with you. And I'm not saying its your fault, because its not, it mine. I just think he should tone-down how much we see each other."

Spencer looks at me, blinks, blinks again. "Spence say something". He opens his mouth, then closes it, je clears his throat then lets goes of my hand. "Okay, okay we can do that".

I furrow my brows "your not mad, are you?". Spencer smiles and pecks my forehead "I could never be mad at you" He pulls me into a hug, and I breathe in his scent. When Spencer pulls away he kisses my cheek. 

"Come on. we have work to do".

~~~

I get home from along day of paperwork, and slam down on my bed. Dads gone. Mom's at the Inn, Rory is at school. And I'm here. All alone. In an empty house. I like an empty house, I should be in an empty house more often.

Wait.

Twenty minutes later I'm looking at apartments. There's not many in Stars Hallow, but I do find myself looking at an apartment on the floor below Spencer's. "Scarlett, this would just make you  guys spend more time together, and prove Cassie's point" I say to myself. There's none in Stars Hallow, all of the ones I've looked at have holes and shitty views. Again, I wonder over the Spencer's apartment building, There's one just below his. Number 13. Not bad rent. A beautiful view. Two minutes away from the BAU, and my favorite library. I'm not doing it FOR him, him living there is just a perk. 

Before I've even thought, I made an appointment to look at the place.